Notifications
Clear all

Is it a gift? What to do?

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

That is part of what I am afraid of, he is trying to pull a fast one after getting himself in the ringer with Amazon.

I doubt that it was an intentional gift. If it was, it would almost certainly have a covering PR letter to explain it. I once complained to a publisher about the sloppy work in a kids book I'd bought and was sent a different book for free. But it also came with a good PR letter.

I'd say that there were two main ways of looking at it:

a) He's just disorganised and has messed things up. This seems most likely.

b) He's trying to pull some sort of stunt to get back at you for the negative rap. This seems much less likely, but who knows? And it doesn't hurt to be careful.

I don't know how the laws, or the mail system works in the US, but this is more or less how I understand it to work here.

1. You're not obliged to pay to return something sent in error, but you are obliged to give the sender the opportunity to retrieve their goods. I don't know for how long, or how deep that goes though.

2. Registered mail here would provide a paper trail that could trace the path of a package. What it would not do would be a) confirm that the contents of the package were what the sender claimed b) had been adequately packed and protected, or c) were in 'as new' condition when packed. So I'd try and find out what his intentions are before just posting it off.

Presumably the guy now has some sort of address for you - perhaps even a home address - so I would avoid inflaming the situation any further if you're not sure what he's up to. You don't want him handing out your address to places that will flood you with junk mail, or playing other stupid tricks.

I would follow Greybeard's suggestion about notifying him that you have the book and asking for clarification. I'd keep it polite, but I wouldn't automatically offer to post it back at my own expense. I also wouldn't lay down too many conditions unless I actually knew what the law says first.

You could try an email first if that seems simpler, and then follow it up if you got no reply.

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

KEEP IT!

Nothing better than free stuff :lol:

Ya just GOTTA LOVE us New Yorker's.

If it ain't nailed down it must mean that it's mine. Fuggetaboutit !!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mike

Follow your conscience on this one. You'll do what's right. The fact that you had to ask the question means that you know keeping it outright is bad for your Karma.

LOL
Just keep it, and leave the negative feedback, look how much he's putting you through

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I received a reply from Amazon.com customer service;
"Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may
have caused.

In researching your account, I see that a refund was initiated for
order (#058-2440006-xxxxx). It was created on September 08, 2005,
in the amount of $xx.xx.

However, we ask that you keep the item with our compliments. Perhaps
you can donate it to a school or library in your area.

I hope this information has been helpful. Thank you for shopping
at Amazon.com.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=rqcecherxxxx
If not, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=rqcecherxxxx

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept
incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section
of our web site.

Best regards,

Carter Mikel Pratab
Amazon.com Customer Service"

I guess that settles that :D

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

As far as I know any unsolicited mail is yours to keep and that's what I'd do.

If he was stupid enough to send it to you, for whatever reason then to bad for him.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

However, we ask that you keep the item with our compliments. Perhaps
you can donate it to a school or library in your area.

Excellent outcome. :D

I hereby designate myself a "school or library" and declare that I am open for donations. Oh, wait, I'm not in your area.... darn... :?

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Save copies of the email for at least one year. :)

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

I hereby designate myself a "school or library" and declare that I am open for donations. Oh, wait, I'm not in your area.... darn... :?

Chris,

AREA is a word that is open to interpretation. Area of the county, state, continent, universe?

You can consider yourself my neighbor anytime.

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris,

AREA is a word that is open to interpretation. Area of the county, state, continent, universe?

You can consider yourself my neighbor anytime.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I'll be round later to borrow a cupful of sugar and some beer money..... :wink:

Cheers, Chris

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

IANAL, but I believe that federal law covers the topic of unsolicited items ending up in your mailbox. I THINK that it basically says "if you didn't order it, you're under no obligation to pay for it and you get to keep it."

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

WOW freebies.Would you give link to us about the book you got :lol: :lol: :lol: (no i don't have any intention to buy it :wink: )

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2