Notifications
Clear all

is this guitar worth fixing?

19 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@c-mart)
Topic starter  

my friend gave me this electric he had, and he has no clue if its anygood, and neither do i. it says its a "memphis"

heres some pics

so basically does anyone know anything about this brand of guitar, and is it worth fixing up so it sounds good, because right now it sounds very out of tune even when in tune, and the E string vibrates. [/img]

(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i bought a memphis neck off ebay for a project, and it's a reallly really nice neck. that's pretty much all i know about it

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

sounding out of tune when in tune suggests an intonation problem.
if you take your time you can do it yourself without to much difficulty.
if it won't stay in tune it could be the tuners or just bad strings. some tuners have little screws in the tops of the tuner handles if these are too loose they can allow the string to move. i would check out Nils' site and see if you are up to adjusting the intonation yourself. i would first put a new set of strings on it tho. http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/
if you don't want to attempt it yourself then i would consider getting a guitar shop to give it a "set-up"
it shouldn't cost over $50 with strings included.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/BasicGuitarSetup.htm

You might as well try it yourself. Just don't force anything.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I can't find anything on a single pickup Memphis so I can't say for sure what it is worth. However, based on the price you did pay it is worth going through some basic adjustments and see how it does.

The way it is strung it will never stay in tune so I would put new strings on it correctly.

I would then go through a complete setup and check everything and adjust where necessary. You can use the steps on my basic setup page to walk you through it.

Good luck and enjoy tinkering since at a minimum you have a good project guitar.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Coooool.. We all had the same recommendation 8)

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

I think my friend has the same Memphis electric guitar, but he didn't have a knob switch for it so he used a cool metal skull for a switch and put stickers all over it.

Probably won't take much to fix it. Good luck with your guitar.

:D

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@mike-mcdevitt)
Eminent Member

I have never heard of a Memphis guitar. This is just a guess, but was this made in Asia sometime in the 1980s? The reason I say so, is that a flood of single pickup Asian strat copy guitars hit the market back then, copying EVHs design. I know, I owned one of them! :D

If it is, it probably isn't worth $100, so any repairs that are needed should be done by you - the cost of a repair wouldn't be justified. Try tinkering with it and see if you can fix it yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Everything I see on the net says they are made of plywood.

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Judging by the other guitars on the Harmony Central website, it would seem to be pretty cheap. Perfect for mucking about with, I hate to touch even my MIM tele.
Wonder how the Memphis would sound in an alternate tuning with a slide?

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

The way it is strung it will never stay in tune so I would put new strings on it correctly.

I agree, the E, A, and D strings are wound backwards, but the G, B and e strings are fine.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

What a better way to introduce yourself to doing your own setups. If you mess it uo, make a lamp out of it. BTW, Nils' set up instructions are very well written and easy to follow.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Wonder how the Memphis would sound in an alternate tuning with a slide?

Funny you say that Primeta, because friend put .10 strings on his Memphis and messes with alternate tunings all the time. It sounds pretty cool to.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

From looking at it I get the impression this may have been a project guitar, body from one place neck from another ect. I would invest the money in a new set of strings and follow Nils setup instructions. Use a chromatic tuner and see what you end up with. Not sure why but I get the feeling you can have a real Burro Kickin guitar

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

From looking at it I get the impression this may have been a project guitar, body from one place neck from another ect. I would invest the money in a new set of strings and follow Nils setup instructions. Use a chromatic tuner and see what you end up with. Not sure why but I get the feeling you can have a real Burro Kickin guitar

I totally agree and with all the other posts too.

What a fun toy to make into a screamer if the structure is sound.

Wonder what it sounds like now? Bet it'd growl. :twisted:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2