Clear all

Is this possible?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Last night I was jamming at a friend's house and I was playing my bass through a small 15 watt bass amp. I cranked the thing to about 9 and it was really pushing the little speakers to distort. Anyways, for some reason I got the impression that running my bass through an inadequate amp pushed pass the limit could somehow hurt my bass. Is it possible to damage or weaken a guitar by playing it through an amp that is too small?

P.S. My bass has active pickups if that has any relevance.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Last night I was jamming at a friend's house and I was playing my bass through a small 15 watt bass amp. I cranked the thing to about 9 and it was really pushing the little speakers to distort. Anyways, for some reason I got the impression that running my bass through an inadequate amp pushed pass the limit could somehow hurt my bass. Is it possible to damage or weaken a guitar by playing it through an amp that is too small?

P.S. My bass has active pickups if that has any relevance.

The bass's electronics? No. Put this out of your mind. It's the amp that's taking the beating.

If you are beating it up to make it sound louder? I doubt that too, as one can whack a bass pretty hard. Many bass players do ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Good, thanks for the quick reply.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote