Skip to content
It wasn't a thing o...

Notifications
Clear all

It wasn't a thing of beauty,but I managed!!

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Spent the biggest part of the afternoon putting on nylon strings.The first three,four,were bit of a struggled.By the time I got to the A and E strings I got it pretty easy. All in all,I can see why Willie Nelson uses ball end nylon strings! They didn't have any ball end nylons except Ernie Ball's.I'm not a big fan of their ball ends or nylon strings in general.I guess I got to order a pair of Dean Markley's.Anybody put on classical strings on a regular baisis? Is it tough to stretch them,or just time consuming?

(@bfloyd6969)
Estimable Member

Spent the biggest part of the afternoon putting on nylon strings.The first three,four,were bit of a struggled.By the time I got to the A and E strings I got it pretty easy. All in all,I can see why Willie Nelson uses ball end nylon strings! They didn't have any ball end nylons except Ernie Ball's.I'm not a big fan of their ball ends or nylon strings in general.I guess I got to order a pair of Dean Markley's.Anybody put on classical strings on a regular baisis? Is it tough to stretch them,or just time consuming?

Yeah, nylon strings like to stretch and stretch and stetch. Eventually they will settle in. Give them a good couple tugs once you get them on (not too much though or they will snap) to help minimize the streching. Ball ends will stretch just the same as its the nylon material that's stretching. Make sure you have the knot correct at the bridge too. The string should be acting as a lock around itself.

Why do we have to get old...

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Anybody put on classical strings on a regular baisis? Is it tough to stretch them,or just time consuming?

Yep - all four of my classical guitars get string changes on a regular basis.

It's not tough to stretch them, you just have to do it a heck of a lot. I changed the strings on my main concert guitar last Sunday, stretched and tuned them half a dozen times that night, stretched and tuned them again on Monday and they were just about ok to handle very short Etudes, I'll stretch and tune every night until Friday when I'll have a fairly big practise session, and they should just about hold tune for a 60-minute concert this Saturday.

That's the Hitchin Festival btw - I'm playing at St Mary's Church, Hitchin, Herts, UK, with the Cambridge Guitar Orchestra. Show starts at 7:30. Plug, plug, plug.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

So true, lotsa patience required. Those nylon strings stretch and stretch, till they settle in.

I'm glad you managed Gchord, kudos! And 4 sets for Alan, wow, what work and patience, my goodness.

You can help them along as mentioned by tugging - I'm sure that's what most people are doing, by pulling them and retuning, over and over again, till you must eventually sit down and play. :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member

LOL, yeah the first time I change nylon strings it was pretty difficult, now it's pretty easy for me, just remember to keep on stretching them, it will take about a week or so before they stay in tune like everyone said below.

I now find installing nylons easier than steel, they are just easier to manipulate.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

ReplyQuote