Clear all

It's Back!

15 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Rondo is once again offering what's my very favorite electric guitar, the AS-820 semihollowbody with P-90s: http://www.rondomusic.com/as820semihp90nat.html

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Funny...I was just browsing Rondos' pages before I came here; seems my GAS has been acting up lately & I feel the need to treat the recurring symptoms! :lol: Nice AS-820; I love the natural finish guitars. :)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Yes, nice guitar! I love the natural finish guitars, too. If the wood is nice, just it is needed a little bit of varnish.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The AS-820 is one of Rondo's regular models, but they only offer it with P-90s occasionally. I have one of those and love it. I'm sure it's great with the standard humbuckers, but I'm a big fan of P-90s.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Anybody order one yet ? :-)

I looked at it multiple times over the weekend after you posted on the BigRoadBlues forum, but just didn't get to pulling the trigger. Kept looking at that and Reverend Club King 290; read the GP reviews for that and the Agile Harm 1 etc. The only notable thing was that the reviewer really liked the P-90s on the Reverend (it was for a solid body, but same pick ups) but did not like the P-90 on the Harm 1 much .. :?

I probably should make up my mind over the next couple of days, otherwise the Agiles might be gone.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, it'll be moot soon. A guy on the Big Road Blues board called up Kurt and he said he only had a few. (Which I knew already.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Anybody order one yet ? :-)

I looked at it multiple times over the weekend after you posted on the BigRoadBlues forum, but just didn't get to pulling the trigger. Kept looking at that and Reverend Club King 290; read the GP reviews for that and the Agile Harm 1 etc. The only notable thing was that the reviewer really liked the P-90s on the Reverend (it was for a solid body, but same pick ups) but did not like the P-90 on the Harm 1 much .. :?

I probably should make up my mind over the next couple of days, otherwise the Agiles might be gone.

Sorry Ric, but I say go Reverend. Reverend does great P90s and some really cool, vibey, unique axes.

-=Greg (Reverend fan, Slingshot player)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

No need to apologize.

I like the Agile (Gotoh) P-90s.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

A rather basic question: the Reverend site makes a big point about their semi-hollow being routed from a slab of wood with a cap, not from plywood etc. Is this purely a marketing hype thing or is it something unique? Are most semi-hollows constructed more like an acoustic, with the center block being used instead of bracing?

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

The solid block is supposed to be glued to the front and back, to make the guitar basically act like a solid guitar. There's really nothing "acoustic" about a semihollow. Most of them are made of plywood, and I see no advantage to routing one out of a block of wood.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I've seen claims that the solid top hollow bodies have a nicer sound and that the sound is more "uniform". Some discussion of hollow bodies here - http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=35020&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=20

I know that some companies make the tops and bottoms of their hollow bodies from a solid piece of wood and carve the shape from it and others use laminated layers of wood. I understand that Gibson used to use carved solid wood but doesn't anymore nor does Heritage (the guys who made the original Gibson guitars). Edwards, which is an ESP brand only available in Japan, does make an ES-335 clone with solid carved wood top and bottom (probably done with a CNC lathe).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Still, there's a HUGE difference between hollowbodies and semihollowbodies. The semihollow is basically a solid body guitar with hollow wings that are more decorative than acoustic. They do resonate some, but nothing like a hollowbody.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Looks like I've developed some GAS immunity :-)

After pondering both options for couple of days, and realizing I am only finding at most 45 minutes to play everyday, I concluded that I should just play my current stable of guitars more..I guess I am setting a very bad example :lol:

--vink

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

You're getting where I've been for a while. Don't need any new guitar, amp, anything. Got more'n I can play right now and don't do enough playing. That's what I need to work on.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Same here. I've been adding and considering other instruments these days. If I can become halfway decent on some of these -- banjo, lapsteel, mando, harp, viol, it's good for trading off in jams.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote