Clear all

New Guitar

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

OK, so I certainly didn't need one. I have a habit of checking the deal of the day on MF. There it was, for $99.99 including shipping, gig bag, chord, etc, was a Floyd Rose fixed bridge DS-2.

To back up for a bit, I was entering another migraine attack. For me, it mean't great inability to think amongst other more painful attributes. So, I bought this with no logic or proper thought. It even took me 30 minutes to figure out the MF ordering system....and that's WITH paypal.

OK, back to the story. Guitar ordered. Not bad, 1/3rd off. Next couple of days go by, migraine gets gawd-awful and the treatments get more intense, I forget about the order. After a trip to the Dr's, I get out of the car (no, I was not driving) and see this box on the porch. Duh! The guitar I ordered. Having only spent 100 bucks, the lovely wife wrote it off to a series of funny things I've said and done during the past week. Phew!

I go inside, get myself something to drink and who knows what else I did. Some time later, I'm walking through the foyer and I see this box out on the porch. Oh Yeah, the guitar. Duh, again. I go get it, manage to unwrap layers of crap and attached to the neck is a whammy bar. On a fixed bridge? I unwrap the next layer and discover that MF had made a mistake. They shipped me the DST-2 non-fixed bridge.

So, I google it. First link: http://www.musiciansnews.com/guitars/36/floyd_rose_dst2_discovery_series_electric_gui.shtml Yes, that's selling for $419 right now. I got me a $419 guitar for $99.99

So, I've been getting better and better today. I finally went through the set-up on it. (complicated mess that I gave up after about 5 minutes earlier in the week after almost losing an eye) Got it pretty close. Review? It's a gimick guitar. However, after set-up, it's rather alive sounding and I was able to get it into a really low action with no buzzing. Goes back into tune very well, except when bending notes and realizing that you forgot to double-tighten the allen-screws. (not out of the woods yet) I'll adjust some more and REMEMBER to double-tighten the screws and say more. Pretty good so far.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Looks cool! Hope you feel better soon.

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Nice guitar! :D

Send us some pics and sounds when you get a chance.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Cool! :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Well that's a nice surprise!

Might want to consider wearing safety glasses when setting it up though! :wink:

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote