Clear all

Jazz Rhythm

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@coolnama)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Okay so as you know I've been getting into jazz with my teacher, and we've pretty much covered : Modes, Inversions, a few Standards, and some hand excersises in the like 8 classes I have taken.

But I have all that and can do decent "comping" with inversions but, I really don't know what rhythm or strumming pattern to give the chords. I try to look for the music on internet but I really can't discern what strumming "pattern" the jazz guitarists are doing. I know it is syncopated, but, I don't know, can anybody help ?

I wanna be that guy that you wish you were ! ( i wish I were that guy)

You gotta set your sights high to get high!

Everyone is a teacher when you are looking to learn.

( wise stuff man! )

Its Kirby....

(@garthwebber)

Don't read. Listen. Listen to Tal Farlow, Johnny Smith, Wes Montgomery, Scott Henderson, etc etc, whoever sounds good to you. There are any number of patterns that might be appropriate for a given feel in a given song. Listen to the players who move you and you will begin to find your voice. Every player will approach a song slightly differently. Some of them will move you, some won't. When something does sound great to you take it apart and see why.
Garth~

ReplyQuote
(@garthwebber)

Well read if you want. There's nothing wrong with reading, per se, but it only gives you the skeleton of what was played. There is so much information embedded in a performance. Only a tiny fraction of it can be encoded in writing. But if you listen carefully to a performance you will take in a lot of it.
Garth~

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

there is a logical place to start. comping often needs to be somewhat plain so as not interfere rhythmically or harmonically with the other instruments: you are accompanying, not leading. and it is not always syncopated. you can start your comping by playing one strum per beat -- that is the most fundamental way it's done.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jerry1)

Indian music has also been passed on orally. Tabla players would learn to speak complex rhythm patterns and phrases before attempting to play them. Sheila Chandra, an English pop singer of Indian descent, made performances based on her singing these patterns. In Indian Classical music, the Tala of a composition is the rhythmic pattern over which the whole piece is structured.

ReplyQuote