Just Not My Night f...

Notifications
Clear all

Just Not My Night for Playing I guess

23 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

It's been quite a while since I had a practice session that wasn't productive so I'm not too frustrated. I started on the electric with a clean tone and just couldn't get the "feel". I switched to distortion (I trid ALL my distortion pedals!) figuring I always do simple power chords riffs fairly well...WELL not tonight! I then switched to acoustidc to work on my arpeggios since last night I was beginning to hear some combinations I liked...NOTHING! Tonight I couldn't play my way out of a paper bag on 3 tries!

I just put the guitar down and grabbed a 24oz...Hit the spot! Today was my first day back to work and we had meeting all day and I had to re-do our schedual that I THOUGHT I did in June...but my lovely administrator (she IS very nice...I am just being sarcastic here!) decided to make some changes :roll:

I guess I am due for a day like this so I'll take it as it is...for NOW! :wink:

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

LOL, I had one of those "not my nights" last night. I caught a cold this weekend, so I was already feeling crappy. Then I was working on a bass line for one of our songs and kept messing up the progression in the chorus. After five failed attempts at that one song I gave up, drank some Nyquil and passed out.

Some times you gotta take the crunchy with the smooth. But it will get better - it always does! ;)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

It happens.

When I have those bad days where I can't play well, I just put the guitar down and listen to some good music. You know, it is just as important to listen to good music as it is to practice the guitar.

And sometimes I don't even do that. Just watch some TV and chill. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Been there brutha!!! Sometimes switching guitars helps, sometimes not. It's like a "what the heck happened to my fingers???". Happens with other things too.

It's like when you have a bad game of baseball or football. My last baseball game I rolled my ankle playing the field, lost a pop-up, got hit in the foot with a 75 mph pitch and struck out twice. About the only thing productive I did was drink Gatorade without soiling myself or others.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

It happened to me last Thursday evening.

I couldn't do anything right and was getting very frustrated. Put the guitar down early that night.

Friday afternoon I had the lesson of my life. I couldn't play a wrong note if I tried. Teacher couldn't believe it was me. Nor could I come to that.

It just goes to show you have good days and bad days. It just seemed odd to me that I had them on consecutive days.

As it happens since then I've reverted back to my usual standard. Looking forward to the next good day.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@soundgarden)
Trusted Member

This might be totally off topic and incorrect, but was it cold where you were playing. I'm just asking because the moment i feel a bit cold the blood circulation drops of slightly in my fingers and it's next to impossible to play anything.

Drugs are a waste of time. They destroy your memory and your self-respect and everything that goes along with with your self esteem. Kurt Cobain
Have you seen the roses? There's a whole lot of colours. Syd Barret

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

Guitarist take practicing way to seriously. And this is honestly me speaking from experience. I personally suffer from ADD. But it really helps me stay fresh sounding when I play live and really helps my writing. Cause its like my brain is never satisfied it always wants to move on. But then later on I will get back to it. So what I am saying is, relax, this is fun! Dont be so serious. Unless the record label is breathing down your neck to lay down tracks you should just take your time and steadly chug along.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I did was drink Gatorade without soiling myself or others.

And that is a good start. :lol:
So what I am saying is, relax, this is fun! Dont be so serious.

Yup, my guitar teacher knows that I am a very logical thinker type. He likes to point out to me that the guys I am wanting to "copy" arent really the braniac thinker types. Basically, he's telling me the same thing. "Don't think about it so hard, relax and just have fun"

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member

This might be totally off topic and incorrect, but was it cold where you were playing. I'm just asking because the moment i feel a bit cold the blood circulation drops of slightly in my fingers and it's next to impossible to play anything.

That is a very viable point. Before playing, lots of pros say to warm up your hands with warm water to get the blood flowing. I find its a great way to start things off.

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Oh OH! Another one of those nights! I think this is just me trying to get used to being back at work though. I was fooling around with the keyboard earlier though. A friend gave me a copy of Fruity Loops...this program is the BOMB! I learned the C D G chords on the keyboard and had a cool power chord guitar sound with a touch of feedback...MAN I like the keys! 8)

Anyway...I switched to guitar and it just didn't feel right tonight. I know I need to get a teacher and plan on it once the school year gets flowing (maybe November or so)...but until then I need to keep motivated.

Sorry...just venting again! :oops: :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well it looks like I got over this one quick...I HOPE! Today I did about 45 minutes of keyboard and about 1 hour of guitar. It seems that learning the keyboard helped warm my hands up for guitar practice...

Anyway, sorry to be talking to myself! :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Mikespe wrote: Anyway, sorry to be talking to myself!

:lol:

Actually, I'm enjoying reading and knowing that I'm not the only one who has nights when nothing works right.

Glad you've had a good practice day once again, though.

Remind me what kind of keyboard you got ? I have a piano but it seems when I want to play I'm always interrupting someone's "tv time". :roll: I'm thinking I could play a keyboard with headphones, so I'm occasionally KASsing. I used to have a keyboard, but it was before they were available with "touch" control, if you know what I mean, and I just didn't enjoy playing it so let my father-in-law have it. Kinda wish I had even it back now.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Remind me what kind of keyboard you got ? I have a piano but it seems when I want to play I'm always interrupting someone's "tv time". :roll: I'm thinking I could play a keyboard with headphones, so I'm occasionally KASsing. I used to have a keyboard, but it was before they were available with "touch" control, if you know what I mean, and I just didn't enjoy playing it so let my father-in-law have it. Kinda wish I had even it back now.

Margaret

Thanks for the support Margaret! I use a M-Audio Keystation 49e plugged into the usb port of my laptop. I use Fruity Loops as the software for my instrument sounds. It has to be the COOLEST program I have played with so far! I'll post a clip maybe this weekend. It is an entry level keyboard but my main interest is guitar. I just toy around with the keyboard. Someday I hope to use the keyboard to write music for the guitar...much faster writing chords that way!

Since I have my laptop going to my mixer the keyboard sound comes out of my amp (then back to the mixer) so if I had to I could put the headphones to the mixer and not bother anyone.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

That looks pretty cool. I didn't know such a thing existed. I'll watch for a clip when you post it.
Mikespe wrote: Someday I hope to use the keyboard to write music for the guitar...much faster writing chords that way!
What do you mean? Can you play a chord on the keyboard and a program will transcribe it into written music?

And does Fruity Loops allow you to make the keyboard sound like various instruments, including a guitar?

(apologies in advance for straying off topic :? )

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Hey Mike.. I got an entry level keyboard recently too. I love playing it. Margeret, some of the new keyboard are terrific (for beginners) and dont cost alot. Mine was under 200 and although it isnt full size it has enough keys to entertain me. LOL I got a Yamaha PSR293 (I think thats it.)

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2