Notifications
Clear all

Just Not My Night for Playing I guess

23 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

Margaret,

Yes there is a lot of software that will transcribe the music played to written music...even TAB! I really want to get Finale 2006 for writing...the options it has are endless! As for Fruity Loops...you can play ANY instrument under the sun! From guitar, bass, & drums to sitar, organ, harpsichord to ambient sounds, special effects and even SPACE INVADERS sounds! :lol:

Geo, I have noticed that for me it is easier to learn notation with the keyboard than the guitar..have you noticed the same? The keyboard is a nice break from guitar...whenever I am not having a good practice on guitar I'll play the keyboard...it beats sitting & pouting while watching TV!

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

to learn notation with the keyboard than the guitar..have you noticed the same? The keyboard is a nice break from guitar...whenever I am not having a good practice on guitar I'll play the keyboard...it beats sitting & pouting while watching TV!

Definately. I can read music already, and I havent been playing that long, when I play the keyboard (Albeit slow). But I still cant make the lines and spaces make sense on my fretboard.

There is a book at Guitar Center I want to pick up that is supposed to be really good on midi. I want to learn more about midi.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Margaret,

Yes there is a lot of software that will transcribe the music played to written music...even TAB! I really want to get Finale 2006 for writing...the options it has are endless! As for Fruity Loops...you can play ANY instrument under the sun! From guitar, bass, & drums to sitar, organ, harpsichord to ambient sounds, special effects and even SPACE INVADERS sounds! :lol:

Geo, I have noticed that for me it is easier to learn notation with the keyboard than the guitar..have you noticed the same? The keyboard is a nice break from guitar...whenever I am not having a good practice on guitar I'll play the keyboard...it beats sitting & pouting while watching TV!

Do you have the full registered version of fruity loops or just the demo? I just (last night) downloaded the demo and have begun goofing around with it....it's great fun!

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Mikespe wrote: I have noticed that for me it is easier to learn notation with the keyboard than the guitar.

The keyboard is just so much more......linear. Playing piano most of my life and guitar only recently, I think the keyboard is waaayy easier to learn than guitar. On the piano, every "C" looks like every other "C", and it never looks any different. Not so with guitar!

And on the keyboard, with only brief exceptions (such as crossing your thumb under when running up the keys), your hands remain "linear", which matches up with the notation so much more obviously. With guitar we have all these contortions to shape our hands into. One more thing, with the keyboard it is so much easier to ensure a "clean" tone, whereas with guitar there is a lot to concentrate on with getting everything right to make a nice sound.

I think you've hit on a great tip, Mike. Guitarists who want to learn standard notation should avail themselves of a keyboard for learning, if possible, IMO. Even if they don't care about learning the instrument to become proficient, I think it can make learning notation simpler.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Well I have a few short clips from my "weak" keyboard playing. The first one is called Gandalf named after the effect I used...I like this one the most and might find a way to incorporate my guitar into it somehow!

The second clip is called PowerChord also named after the effect I used (basically a distorted guitar using powerchords.

For both I tried playing chords as well as some single notes...

***Admins: I didn't put this in the Hear Hear section because it's just a clip of what Fruity Loops can do for those that wish to hear it...Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Had one of the "not my day"'s yesterday.

I usually just practice the scales and work on finger strength exercises for a few hours or so. I guess all you can do on these days is work on your technical skill and hope that your "soul" will return tommorow. :wink:

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@vccky)
Estimable Member

That is a very viable point. Before playing, lots of pros say to warm up your hands with warm water to get the blood flowing. I find its a great way to start things off.
I personally think that's a bad idea. Have you ever tried playing right after taking a shower or washing dishes or just plain washing your hands? I find it extremely unpleasant. The skin has softened and it's just more difficult and painful. That might be just me though. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Puke wrote: Have you ever tried playing right after taking a shower or washing dishes or just plain washing your hands?

I think the amount of time your hands are in the warm water would make a lot of difference, though. Just warming them up by running warm water over them shouldn't make them as waterlogged as washing dishes or bathing.

Right now my hands are cold and I can definitely notice that it affects my typing accuracy negatively. I think warming them up a bit before playing is worth trying.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2