learning mandolin

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have been playing the guitar for 5 years, or so and I was thinking of picking up a mandolin and adding a new sound to our jams. I (possibly incorrectly) believe that it should be a relatively painless switch. I was thinking that after a couple of weeks I should be able to play an easy version of most of the songs I/we play.

For anyone out there with experience - am I dreaming?

Cheers,

Max

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Lots of similarities, of course. Wood and strings and plectra. ;)

Keep in mind that mando tuning is in fifths and is upside down (GDAE) relative to guitar, so chord shapes need to be inverted. Same thing with scales. But I definitely found it easier to pick up mando because of my guitar playing knowledge, limited as it may be.

String tension on a mando is almost the same as on a 12-string guitar, so they can actually be difficult to fret cleanly when you get started. Pick attack is also different, as you are playing two strings at once. And the neck is held like a violin neck, rather than like a guitar neck.

Now, in bluegrass, the mando is generally more of a percussive instrument - mando "chops" and bass drive the rhythm. A little different if you're doing "Celtic" styles which I prefer, where you're often playing fiddle melodies. (I'm making generalities.)

Technique is different in the use of tremelo picking, very common with mando, not so much with guitar. Similarly, string bending isn't too common with mando.

There's a lengthy discussion on the MandolinCafe forum titled "How to not play mandolin like a guitar" that's worth a look:
http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=aca77992ad51e95e6beae68639e8c49e;act=ST;f=25;t=45145

I like the comment, "They are two very different instruments separated by a common pick." 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

sure you can. years ago I picked up an inexpensive but good sounding mando. I found a chart for the chords and went at it.
in no time I could play a song. of course, the true art of mandolin picking would take diligent practice, just like anything else.
it was the same with ukulele.
playing other stringed instruments is inspiring. it has improved my guitar playing immensely.
I highly recommend expanding.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the responses. Ill definitly check out the link as well. A friend from work is planning to bring in his mandolin to let me give it a try.

We mostly play country, rock, pop and blues so hopefully I can fit the mandolin in with these styles. I would like to get into some bluegrass though. This could be my motivation.

Cheers

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

This is a useful discussion, as I've had the same idea recently! Two questions: Are there any reasonably good mandolins that come with factory installed pickups? I'm a rootsy kind of guy, but not a purist, so I don't want to have to worry about setting up and playing into a separate mic for the mando!

Also, I have learned from hard experience not to buy cheap, beginners stuff that I only have to replace. I wouldn't need a pro instrument, but I do want something decent.

Any suggestions for a decent mandolin, hopefully with factory installed amplification?

Thanks,
Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Two questions: Are there any reasonably good mandolins that come with factory installed pickups?

I assume you're talking about regular acoustic mandos, not "electric mandolins" like the Godin A-8. The short answer is: no. :wink:

Get a McIntyre Feather pickup installed, and run it through a good preamp like a Fishman, then to your amp of choice (acoustic amp, PA, etc.)
Any suggestions for a decent mandolin?

What's your budget?

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

I'd like to keep the total under $1000, but if $1200 or $1300 will get me a much better instrument, I can probably go that far. This would have to include the pickup and installation.

Thanks,
Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

The Michael Kelly line of mandolins are some you might consider. The quality of their instruments (at least the ones I've tried) are very, very good and you'll also find (at least according to their website) that they have mandolins with built in Fishman electronics. Here's an example:

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/legacy_deluxe_e.html

I don't know if these are in your price range or not (it's been a number of years since I looked at them) but they should be..

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted!

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@yournightmare)
Estimable Member

I've been playing guitar for less than two years and about 2 months ago I decided to pick up a ukulele to play just for fun. I downloaded chord charts from the Internet, and in less than two minutes I was playing songs I already knew how to play on guitar. So I don't imagine you're going to have any problem at all picking up the mandolin.

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

if you go to elderly.com they have a lot of mandolins that you can look at pictures of at all different prices and brands...

ReplyQuote
(@jersey-jack)
Estimable Member

Thanks all for the learned advice! Now I have to talk my wife into spending the $$$. :roll:

Jersey Jack

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

David, I about fell out of my chair when I saw the cost of that mandolin:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Legacy-Deluxe-E-Acoustic-Electric-Mandolin?sku=514272&src ="3WFRWXX&CAWELAID=58661769"

$900!!! :shock:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

i got a mando yesterday and i feel that my guitar play has goten wose :cry: . What can I do to get my guitar playing back up again?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

David, I about fell out of my chair when I saw the cost of that mandolin:

Yeah the Kelly prices are up quite a bit recently. Popularity I suppose. But compared to The Gibson it's still relatively inexpensive. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

i got a mando yesterday and i feel that my guitar play has goten wose :cry: . What can I do to get my guitar playing back up again?

Since yesterday? :shock:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2