Left out?!

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This is bound to be a stupid question, but:

Are there pick-ups specific for left handed guitars?

I mean, the only difference is, that it's "mirrored", but that can make the difference of all or nothing...

I haven't found any pickups for left-handed guitars so it's either:
there are no.
they happen to be the same...

so am I stupid or has this been "left out"

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

(@longdave)
Trusted Member

This bound to be an even more stupid reply, but can't you just turn them round in the slot?

(and no, I'm not taking the rip!)

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

This is what I'd like to now ;-)

Now, if they are build symmetrically then I could turn them 180 degrees, but would the sound still be the same or would it suck?

but if they are not symmetrically build then I would have to build them in with the wrong site showing out (which wouldn't make much sense... :D )

I think I don't confuse you too much (or as much as I confuse myself)...

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I think if you turn them around you mess up the phase. Plus, with humbuckers especially, you turn them around and the pole pieces would be under the wrong node of the string. It would sound different. For humbuckers, I don't think there are any lefty versions. With staggered-pole piece Fender single coils, I think I saw them somewhere, especially on the 'vintage' type or reissue guitars. The pole pieces on these are non adjustable so you wouldn't be able to screw them down or up to compensate. And, you can't just turn them around either because it would mess up the phase.

With most guitars though, it's not an issue, even with the adjustable ones because nowadays people don't bother to adjust them - which is too bad. :)

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

exactly as I feard :evil:
it's "nothing tragic" as I just wanted to have better sound (who doesn't? :-) and thought I'd go for new pickups instead of a new guitar (which I can't efford anyway)
well, as long as my playing sucks, I think there is no need for better equipment, it's just... generally sad...

Thank you for your great input!
I'll search harder now with the confidence, that there ARE some out there :)

If I find decent ones I'll let you know.

peace
man on a mission

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Seymour Duncan has some that are available lefty:

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products/stratsdescr.shtml#VintageStaggeredforStrat

So are you a left handed player with a right handed Strat?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am no expert, but I don't believe pickups are wired any differently for left or right handed guitars. However, some pickups are set on an angle.

It's funny, how many people wanted a Hendrix Strat for right handed players. You know Jimi used a right handed Strat upside down. He just reversed the strings and intonation at the bridge. But one of the reasons for his unique tone was the pickup angle. So right handed players wanted a left handed Strat setup for right hand. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The problem with turning pickups round is that most sc pups have a flange at on one side that is used as an anchor for the wires. The sockets reamed into the guitar are designed to have the flange at the rear (bridge side of the pup. If you turn it round, the flange is on the neck side and may well not fit into the socket.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

A humbucker does not have to be rotated for left hand use -- reversing the string order will not sound different if adjustable pole pieces are re-adjusted to mirror right-hand stringing configuration.

Also, humbuckers do have polepieces in both coils, the adjustable set are the only ones visible for a covered version.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@m07zm4n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I got a Hohner ST59, so basically a Strat Copy. I know it would propably be better if I just buy a new guitar, but that's not going to happen until May / 05 so I wanted to try out some tuning on it.
I feel much smarter now, but more confused too, LOL that's just the little socrates awaking in me...

I try to dig into complete construction of pickups, somewhere there HAS to be an answer from the very basic foundation (yes, I am a nasty "why-why-why-why" person ;)

Oh well it's nearly midnight over here, I hadn't much sleep the last few days and have to go out tomorrow so I better get some rest.

I really appreciate your input!. My weakpoint: I am a very complicatet person, who's never satisfied... ;)

Thanks, and see you

NO MORE THEORY!!
um...
KNOW MORE THEORY!!!!

<------>
motz
<------>

ReplyQuote