Skip to content
Looking for new gui...

Notifications
Clear all

Looking for new guitar.. any reasons to pay more?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hi all.

I'm thinking about getting a new guitar and haven't yet decided what to get. I've been quite a fan of Ibanez for many years and quite like the RG series with the thin neck but I'm not particularly bothered about make and manufacture.

Iv'e never been a person that has any interest in the guitar model itself, floyyd rose this and whatever that, I don't know one model name from another because it simply don't interest me.

Bottom line is I'm gonna try a few guitars and simply choose what one I like best (usual advice from anybody) but my big question is what is the benefit of paying £1000 as opposed to paying £350 - £400.

So I choose a guitar, check the obvious, intonation, comfortable, sounds good, fret buzz etc.. but other than that is there any reason I should look at the more expensive guitars.

Pickups I'm not worried about because they can be changed but does anyone know any other reasons why the dearer guitars might be better.

Better electronics, better frets, more hardwaring fretboard, better machines heads, stronger bridge, keeps tune much better etc.. things like that I would be happy to pay more for but the trouble is I haven't a clue what is better than what.

So any pointers at what I should be looking at would be helpfull. I'm quite an experienced guitarists with 30 odd years playing but to be honest I have never had any interest in the mechanics of a guitar. I don't buy them often so if it's worth paying £800 insted of £350 then I'm happy to if I can find a reason it's worth it.

Thanks in advance

Lee

(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

man don't take this wrong but how can you play for 30 years and have "no interest" in the mechanics or knowledge of the differences in guitars?
that said, you are totally right by saying "just play them" and find what suits your style, or what you intend to use it for.
if you are going to gig then you should consider all the variables that affect what type of music you play.
on the other hand if you are only playing occasionally and could care less about having "the best" (whatever that is) then why spend the money for a $1000 guitar when a $500 will fit the need?

more info along those lines may get you more pointed suggestions.
also expect the fans of all makes and models to suggest their favs :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

LES PAUL LES PAUL LES PAUL!!!111!!! !!!!!!!! ITS L!k3 UB3R G00D.

Kidding.

Sometimes the extra cash goes into things that are as simple as Binding, even frets, a nicer finish, lower frets. Things like that, generally the overall workmanship of the guitar. Also, guitar's made in the USA tend to cost a lot more than imported Chinese/Japanese guitars.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

It's cheaper to make guitars in Asia as opposed to USA. Some Japanese guitars are pretty expensive, though, compared to Korean. Mexican made guitars can be cheaper than Asian made, or they can be more expensive. The quality of the wood varies and workmanship and electronics. Just cause it is expensive doesn't mean it is better. Just cause it's cheaper does not mean it's of poor quality. Buy what you like.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

man don't take this wrong but how can you play for 30 years and have "no interest" in the mechanics or knowledge of the differences in guitars?

I really have never been that interested beleive it or not, I play a guitar and either like it or I don't and thats about it. Most my friends go on about they want this model with that pickup config and whatever wood etc and it pretty much goes over my head. My cousin bought a Yamaha (SG copy I think) a while back and when I played it I loved it and thats enough, if I were to go buy it I still wouldn't have a clue what it was made of and what parts it uses :)

I know that the wood affects the sustain and tone but I wouldn't have a clue what the differences are.

Yes I do gig regular and play a lot so a hardwaring guitar would be worth paying extra for. The Yamaha I use now is about 15 years old and it's had it to be honest it needs a lot of work.

Taso, As for Les Pauls.. I love them but I have a Ibanez copy which I'm pretty happy with. :)

I suppose what I mainly want to know looking at something like the Ibanez RG range what difference is there between a £800 and £300.. is it more than just the sound and good setup.

Lee

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

in that case if you might be interested in something different i'd say have a look at the artcore series.
people seem to really rave about them.

Yamaha is also making a semi hollow that is getting rave reviews but its quite a bit pricier.

if your set on a solid body then ibanez makes plenty of models up and down the price range.

half the fun in buying a new axe imo has always been learning about what makes them unique :wink:

if you really don't care about name brands i would say to have a look at Agiles at http://www.rondomusic.net/

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@lee-n)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I've been searching around the net trying to find what the differences are with pickup arrangements, different woods etc. I'm learning a few new things but have now made my choice harder when I get to the shop cos by then I'm gonna know what I'm talking about! :D

Lee

ReplyQuote