Looping a song section within iTunes?

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
10.3 K Views
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Is anyone aware of any plugin, or hidden way to do this in iTunes? Or alternatively, is there a program that will loop a song section that plays the m4a format?

It would really help with transcribing.

(@cuppajack)
Eminent Member

It is doable, but kinda a pain...

make note of the start and end time of the loop you want, then select the song in iTunes and "get info" (either by right/ctrl clicking, or cmd-I) in one of the panes of the window that pops up is a place to specify the "start" and "end times of the song, input your times here and make sure the box is checked. Then you can play just that segment of song, and if itunes is set to repeat it will loop.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Would it be easier to convert the files to something less proprietary, (like MP3) and use some other software to loop it?

For looping most audio files, I use Winamp (the free version) and the Loopmaster plugin . And the Pacemaker plugin to change the speed until I can play fast enough to keep up.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Would it be easier to convert the files to something less proprietary, (like MP3) and use some other software to loop it?

Hmmm, not sure what you mean by proprietary. Proprietary means that the format is owned by a single company (or small group) and not open for general use.

Music is often stored in iTunes using MP3 or AAC (the audio encoding format of the open MPEG-4 standard). The only case where there are proprietary extensions is for rights management - often for songs purchased online at the requirement of the record labels. On the other hand, the Microsoft WMA format is fully proprietary and not open.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

After some Googling, it appears that I was thinking of the M4P (I-tunes DRMed format) rather than M4A, which seems to be listenable on many players, including Winamp.

Sorry for any confusion.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks CuppaJack. You are right it is not ideal, but I doubt I will be progressing through the song fast enough for it to be a pain right now.

But thank you again for finally giving me an answer to this question.

ReplyQuote
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I might as well ask the next obvious question: can I reduce the song speed without changing the pitch in iTunes?

ReplyQuote
(@cuppajack)
Eminent Member

I might as well ask the next obvious question: can I reduce the song speed without changing the pitch in iTunes?

Nope.
At least no way I know of...
Maybe in Garage Band though....

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

As said, no. However, you can do that in QuickTime or GarageBand.

QuickTime Player
1. open the audio file
2. Bring up the A/V controls (Window -> Show A/V Controls)
3) There you can set tempo and pitch

GarageBand
1. open a project
2. bring in the audio file
a) open the media browser and select your audio file
b) or drag it from the Finder into the project tracks
- this track is probably orange coloured - an audio track
3. convert the track to a "real instrument loop"
- Control-Option-G
- click in the timeline
4. bring up the track edit dialog (the little scissors and waveform button)
- select follow tempo and pitch
5. adjust the tempo and pitch and the track follows those changes

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

iTunes is a music library built to make obtaining content, fileing content and retrieving content for average, non-computer literate users.

It is more of a music management system for iPods than a full-featured audio player.

It's just the wrong tool for the job.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@drunkrock)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah I figured as much. Call me a slow learner, but I finally decided to download Winamp due to all the plugins available. I have tempo/pitch changer and vocal remover now. If only they would work simultaneously!

As well I now get to figure out how to loop a song section in Winamp. :roll:

ReplyQuote