Notifications
Clear all

Losing the will to live

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

Watching the Eurovision Song Contest for the first time in years.

We're into the third song - pass the valium LOL

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I can't for the life of me imagine any circumstance under which I would watch that - you're a brave man :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

Check out the Finnish entry - Lordi. Metal in Eurovision; Ooooooooooooooooohhhh

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Think I'll wait till the whole thing's "Finnished" before I turn the TV on....I can't believe they're actually celebrating the fact it's the 50th show!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

It was fantastic!
The best I remember since 81!
Finland and Lithuania were so different and great!!

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Wasn't bad, was it, Jim?

Weird, Jan & I have watched it every year we've been married I think, unless anything critical (difficult calving, etc.) was going down on the farm :shock: This has to be the best for a long time. What with the Finnish metal orcs and Greece's old-school power ballad, there was actually more than a shred of musical enjoyment there, not just a good laugh at Terry Wogan's commentary!

Amazing, just amazing :wink: (You'd have to have watched to know what I meant by that!)

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The French entry was, well, miserable. The Turkish entry had me scratching my head - was it a woman or a drag-queen?
And Lordi.................the troll equivalent to the Glitter Band.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Never heard of this. Is this like the European version of "American Idol"? If so, you have my sympathies.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Not really: every nation selects one 'musical act' to partake, and you can (supposedly, I guess) vote for the winner. It's broadcasted all over Europe but is more popular in eastern then western Europe.

I personally can't stand it, it's just too much crap into one program.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I personally can't stand it, it's just too much crap into one program.
Yes, but, then, it's out of the way for a whole year - "Idol" regurgitates itself every week. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@smokehouse)
Honorable Member

i recorded it so i can take the disc to a clay pigeon shoot............pull :lol:

:WHO INVENTED WORK SHOULD COME BACK AND FINISH THE JOB OFF: http://www.soundclick.com/bartin

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

I'm just relieved that Alan is OK! From the title of the post I was concerned! A fellow Rush Fan!
Sounds like the Event has passed. Thanks Arjen for the explanation!

Phew!

Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Yeah...I read the title and was a bit scared for you there for a minute...

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Never heard of this. Is this like the European version of "American Idol"? If so, you have my sympathies.

Without being picky 'American Idol' is actually a copy of the British 'Pop Idol' that Simon Cowell and Co sold to the US (and many other countries!), that brought us such musical treats as Hearsay (Heresy?), Gareth Gates and Michelle McManus! ie We had it first over here :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)
Topic starter  

A quick breakdown of the Eurovision Song For Europe thingy.

Everybody sings their song (or mimes it, it seemed to me) and then the TV viewers in each country vote for the song they thought "best" (and I use the word carefully). The national juries then allocate points - 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Cyprus always give Greece 12 points; Turkey always give Greece no points; Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Finland share out the big points amongst each other; so do all the former Yugoslav countries; all the former Soviet Union countries do the same but give 12 points to Russia; France and Ireland never give the UK any points but the UK will give points to Ireland. Most countries enter a dire three minute stream of drivel, although Germany excelled themselves this year with a Country & Western song, and Finland (which has given us HIM, Nightwish and The Rasmus over the past couple of years) had Lordi doing death metal. The UK song was rubbish.

So, the best song ends up winning.

Pop Idol/ American Idol is just karaoke, with filmed rehearsals; and have you ever noticed how all of the judges have the same number of contestants that they're "recommending" in the "final"?

Best,

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2