Notifications
Clear all

Losing the will to live

25 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

Never heard of this. Is this like the European version of "American Idol"? If so, you have my sympathies.

Without being picky 'American Idol' is actually a copy of the British 'Pop Idol' that Simon Cowell and Co sold to the US (and many other countries!), that brought us such musical treats as Hearsay (Heresy?), Gareth Gates and Michelle McManus! ie We had it first over here :wink:

Interesting, I didn't know that. Kinda surprising to me since most of the British shows I've seen have been really good, much better than what's being made over here. Although the British shows I've seen are almost all of the comedy variety, so I guess I don't really have that much to go on.

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Yeah I enjoyed Germany's country song the most although it was sorely lacking a lap steel guitar part! :)

Apparently Death Metal or Black Metal is now on of Finland's "official" exports, so it was quite logical for them to submit and entry in this genre (even if it was more like Comedy Metal).

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I liked Lithuania's 'We are the Winners', made me chuckle, and music is all about entertainment in my eyes (ears?)

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

Without being picky 'American Idol' is actually a copy of the British 'Pop Idol' that Simon Cowell and Co sold to the US (and many other countries!), that brought us such musical treats as Hearsay (Heresy?), Gareth Gates and Michelle McManus! ie We had it first over here :wink:
how much would you guys charge to take it back. :wink:

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

how much would you guys charge to take it back. :wink:
Unfortunatley we still have it, along with X-Factor, Ice dancing, Ballroom dancing and now modern type dancing shows to try and find someone who will be forgotten in 6 months!!

ReplyQuote
(@catsworth)
Estimable Member

You left Big Brother off that list.....
How does a country that gave birth to William Shakespeare end up with such dross on the TV? :(

Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.

Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Cats, I think you may have to blame Arjen for that one - isn't it owned by Endemol (a Dutch company, I believe)? If so, Arjen gets the blame. :lol: :lol:
John de Mol, who owns the company, has a lot to answer for - just see how often Endemol comes up in the credits of 2nd rate productions.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

Don't think it is Endemol, at least they didn't create it. That was Simon Cowell and Simon Fuller of 19 Management
http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html&tid=79666&ref_id=8309&ref_type=101

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Don't think it is Endemol, at least they didn't create it. That was Simon Cowell and Simon Fuller of 19 Management
http://www.tv.com/tracking/viewer.html&tid=79666&ref_id=8309&ref_type=101

You left Big Brother off that list.....
"The show, a kind of 'real life soap', was invented by John de Mol of the Netherlands and developed by his production company, Endemol."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Brother_television_program

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

The Eurovision Song Contest was created for one dream to eventually come true for the benefit of us all.

And it did "Abba"

I really believe it was fated to be so. It won't happen again I fear!

The world should thank the Euro for that Vision for ever!

IMHO

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2