Clear all

Luthiers

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

How do you know if someone is a luthier? Do they have to have formal training to use the title. I ask because I want to have electronics installed into my acoustic and it says it must be installed by a professional luthier for warranty coverage. I am less worried about the transducer warranty as I am about someone taking a drill to my guitar. I didn't buy my guitar here so I don't have a local contact for something like this. I plan to go check out a shop tomorrow. Any advice as to what to look for- or run away from?

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I would say yes they need formal training. There are coarses in Lutherie at universities and training centers across the U.S.A.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Luthiery is usually learned either in a school or by an informal apprenticeship. As far as I know, there are professional associations, but no regulating boyd that certifies folks.

Since it's a warrantee issue, I'd contact the guitar maker and ask for an approved list in your area.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for your responses. I went to a local guitar luthier. I felt comfortable with him as he seemed to know about many different pick up systems. He also makes his own brand of guitars in addition to repair. I am happy to report that my guitar is fine and sounds wonderful. I also was glad to have it back in just one day. :)

ReplyQuote