Notifications
Clear all

Mandolin. ?

29 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@jonny-guitar)
Trusted Member

I've been listening to a lot of Celtic music and it's got me craving a mandolin. I really want one of these!

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Kits/Mandolin_Kits/Campfire_Mandolin_Kit.html

It's cheap and easy to build. Building your own instrumments is the best!

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I would love to build my own instrument one of these days! I've got several different plans for building mountain dulcimers, but not for mandolin! I think a dulcimer would be easier for me as a first project! Looks like a nice mando kit, though! And, not a bad price at all! I like the more rounded shape of the body, too!

Let us know how it turns out! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member

That's not the point, dude. Just imagine that you're playing the chord on the top four strings on a guitar, but upside down. You don't have to do a Hendrix and turn the whole instrument around, just tilt your head and play it. If you know the chords well on the guitar it's no match to find the chords on a mandolin. I was playing songs the first time I touched the instrument, it's not like learning how to play the trumpet.

If you did that, you'd be playing chords like A and D on all open strings, which sounds like you're tuning your mandolin. Most mandolin chords have their own fingerings that have nothing to do with the guitar, for it is not a guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Exactly right! Here are a few examples of mandolin chords......

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ah thats a bit clearer than my offering Elecktra B, still think I'm gonna struggle though :wink:

Be excellent to each other & party on dudes!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=686668

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Went down to my local guitar shop today, before brunch with crowd, and I got a mandolin all lined up.

It's a Samick, Greg Bennet series, A style, similar to the one my friends father owns. Black, acoustic/electric, pearloid pickguard, and a case. I'm picking it up sometime the week, when the case comes in.

It should be an intersting adventure.

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Very cool, Paul! I bet you're going to LOVE it! :D

And, Rodders, where's the victory without the struggle? :D

EDIT: Here are the other two pages of chords....

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just curious - when I've heard mandolin played, it seems as if it's carrying chords and a melody at the same time - is it all done with chord changes? ie guitar might be playing a D chord, while mandolin's playing something like D D9 D6 Dsus4/6 D....or is that an over simplification?

(That's part of the intro to "Stuck in the Middle" - Stealers Wheel, btw.)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

I love mandolin, it is actually much easier to see music on the mandolin then on the guitar

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
 Gina
(@gina)
Estimable Member

I bought a used mandolin from a friend of mine last year. It's a fun instrument to pick on, but I find it really uncomfortable to play for some reason, at least when playing chords. For me it's much more fun to pick out melodies on it. Having said that, I haven't touched it in months. I'll always be a guitar girl at heart!

"And if you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." -- George Harrison

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I see McCartney has started using one on his latest offering. Sounds really nice on that new song of his. The intro puts me in mind of an old McGuinness, Flint song " When I'm dead and gone".

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

I recommend the mando to any guitar freak .. it's a beautiful instrument and really easy to learn. With lots of material on the web you don't have to spend a fortune on books - so give it a try. For me the mando comes to it's own on those times when I want to throw my guitar outta the window (Know those feelings?). I just wander over to the stand and hey my baby is always faithful and always gives me a lot of pleasure.

If you are in any doubt about how good it can sound just listen to Chris Thile - and if that doesn't convince you then nothing will!!!

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
(@rodders)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

If you are in any doubt about how good it can sound just listen to Chris Thile - and if that doesn't convince you then nothing will!!!
D

Hey I like the sound it makes, which is what first gave me the thought about getting one. I especially like Steve Earle, he has made some great music on the mandy'

I just gotta chose one from the plethora thats out there. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@welshman)
Estimable Member

Rodders, it would be a little bit of a trek for you, but look for a shop called Hobgoblin (they are on the web) .. they have branches in Birmingham and Wadebridge and they usually have a good range of mandos to try out.

Hope that helps.

D

What did the guitarist do when he was told to turn on his amp?
He caressed it softly and told it that he loved it.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2