Clear all

Mics

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@lazerkrust)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey all, I'm new to these forums. In fact this is my first post. If I'm in the wrong forum area, please don't get angry, just tell me where to go.

I need advice on microphone systems. I have no knowledge whatsoever about the subject. I'm currently in a "garage band" and we have the necessities with one exception, microphones/speakers for the mics. What I want to know is what is a reasonable priced mic system, but can also be heard with/over the drums/guitars/bass/etc.

If you know any such equipment, it would really be appreciated for your input. If you don't know of any equipment, you general knowledge of microphones/speakers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Are You Ready?

JoeP
(@joep)

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of months now having only recently decided to learn to play but I have had some experience in this area so here goes...

You may get more info over in the Live Sound forum. That looks like the place for the info you're interested in (i.e. sound reinforcement).

Basically, you'd need a set of PA speakers – usually on stands – to project either just the vocals or a mix of the vocals and the instruments. You'll also need a mixer (I'm partial to Mackie), amp(s), mics, and cables.

Some friends have a band and they mic their guitar amps and run them through the main mix rather than using a DI box to only route the guitars to the mixer. The drums are digital so go through the mixer directly (IIRC), except for a possible monitor speaker for the band/drummer.

If you're routing everything through the main mix, you'll probably want a monitor setup (monitor speakers, possibly an amp, and channels on the mixer). This also helps the singer(s) hear how loud to sing in relation to the mix.

For a good, all-around singing/speaking mic, I prefer the Shure SM-58 (or Beta58). I don't have much info on micing instruments but the Shure SM-57 (or equivalent) would probably be a good choice. The mics are in the US$100 ballpark.

Small bands usually don't have a dedicated sound person to run the mixer so you'll need some time to setup and do a sound check in advance since it's nearly impossible to adjust things on-the-fly while playing (and while standing/sitting behind the speakers).

Hope this helps.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 JoeP
(@joep)

I just popped over to the Live Sound forum and saw the following link which gives some recommendations that may also be useful.

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11315

Joe[/url]

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

If I'm in the wrong forum area, please don't get angry, just tell me where to go.

Whats wrong witht he internet these days? People are so afraid that we will get angry if he posts in the wrong forum. Don't worry dude, we your friends.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

JoeP

Here is an site that will tell you everything you need to know about PA systems. There is an excellent simple tutorial that you should read through.

There is also a great message board with lots of real friendly folks that will be more than happy to answer any questions about sound or various gear. There are many pros on this site, several own their own sound companies or are professional soundpersons.

Scott's PA System Tutorial

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Whats wrong witht he internet these days? People are so afraid that we will get angry if he posts in the wrong forum. Don't worry dude, we your friends.Well, on some guitar related boards like g__tar.com he'd be blasted with furious flames and have his intelligence and possibly his ancestry questioned. Some of the regulars get their jollies by "messing with people." I much prefer the friendly, helpful attitude of this board.
:D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Whats wrong witht he internet these days?

People apparently forget that they were new once too. Yes, people will make mistakes, double post, post in the wrong section, etc etc, we just need to take a collective chill pill.

If they still do it after being a member for 6 months, THEN it's time to question their ancestry! :twisted:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote