Notifications
Clear all

Help tuning a mandolin

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@msprah)
Topic starter  

Cancer has deafed my right ear and redused my left. So what I do have left is having a hard time w/ tuning. I've played guitar for a while. A tuner is my sulotion there. I got a mandolin for christmas. I got an electric pitchpipe w/ it. But I'm having trouble tuning it to standard pitch. Is there a mandolin tuner? Like a giutar tuner w/ a dial on it? I appriciate any help or suggestions anyone can offer. Thanks,

(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

I have a Sabine MT9000 chromatic tuner/metronome/tone generator. Works on my banjo as well as my electric guitar. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work for a mandolin or anyting else. 30$

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@jaminn)

I use the Intelletouch tuner for all my fretted instruments (guitar, mandolin, banjo). Works fine on all of them. Sometimes has a problem with the low E string on the acoustic guitar, but I just use the harmonic in that case.

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I also use the Itelletouch for my guitar and mandolin.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I use my little Korg chromatic tuner to tune my guitars and my mandolin. Standard tuning for mandolin is GDAE (top strings of guitar in reverse) with each pair of strings tuned to the same note (unlike a 12-string guitar). Here's a website, which may or may not help you with your hearing loss, but there's other neat mandolin stuff there, too!

http://s89015200.onlinehome.us/mandolonline/index.html

HTH!

(forgot to mention.... here's my Xmas present from Sandy Clause!)

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@msprah)
Topic starter  

Thank people for the usefull info. I have tried using my guitar tuner. I will keep working with that.

ReplyQuote