Skip to content
Picking 2 strings a...

Notifications
Clear all

Picking 2 strings at the same time really fast?

12 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was just wondering after trying chop suey from system of a down...I learnt the intro and chorus perfect but I got all annoyed when I just couldn't play the part where Daron alternate strums (picks?) the heck outta 2 strings...I either ended up hitting another string or ended up just playing one string not being able to get back to 2. Is there any good way to position your picking hand or is there a special technique needed?

Sry if I'm making no sence...

cheers

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

First, how do you know he alternate picked it? A lot of that type of music is all downstrums to get a heavier attack.

Regardless, to alternate pick or strum 2 strings will take some practice. Keep your picking hand close to the strings. I find it helps to rest the side of your hand gently on the bridge. Keep the motion of your pick to a minimum. Practice slowly at first just crossing the two strings and returning again. Try just using your wrist and not moving your arm.
It is a feel thing. Once you get the feel of just plucking those two strings then bring it up to speed.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks. And would it help to use a softer plectrum? I use a hard one.

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

No a softer pick wont give as much "Attack"

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

a softer pick would help me thinks. It will flop around more when picking that fast, doing some of the work for you when playing something like that on 2 strings. Also, loosen up your grip.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member

Maybe try something easier like Papercut by linkin park. I learned that part it has helped me before. But like what was said before it will take time and patience

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I've always found that a harder pick helps with faster picking.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

yeah, hard picks are for hard stuff like metal, but i use em for everything. I just like the stability. :) Hope you get it down.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@cmaracz)
Reputable Member

Add a note that would sound ok if you hit it by accident to your two note chord for now, just in case. (Coudl actually sound better and on purpose the pattern made by hitting it right or wrong._

That and/or practice for about an hour moving your hand like that way. Although that's my undinformed sugegstion.

ReplyQuote
(@marshallsw)
Estimable Member

All these guys are probably right, but let's not forget one thing... Daron is friggin crazy.. he tears his guitar up!
watch the video.
anyway
there was an article in GW about his picking.
his response to GW"How do you pick so fast"
he said Daron"I Jerk off alot! (laugh)"
hint..hint...hint......bah
Later!

You're a god among insects, never let anyone tell you different.

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

I had the same problem. i use to hold the pick the more conventional way (index finger and thumb) this is fine when playing normal riffs although i struggled like hell when playing faster stuff . (disposable heroes :shock: )

I'm not sure if you have the same problem but my pick use to move up and down allot because if you look at it your thumb keeps it “level” with down picking but picking up/down fast is a diff story. For me the solution was to use 3 fingers holding the pick both index and thumb as usual and then also middle finger to support/help the index finger. It's gonna seem strange at first but I found it works really well. You will literally see an improvement straight away (I did). Where it might seem strange is fast down picking you could struggle with that for awhile (depending on how long you've been playing) but it will sort it self out.

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Ill second that 3 finger grip.

Whenever I'm playing really fast, like fast alternate picking, I always hold the pick with my thumb index and middle finger. I don't always do it with other things like chords, but those don't require as much precision.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote