Clear all

MIM Strats and Teles

44 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I like my MIM strat.

Tele, what series squire do you prefer? I'm thinking of getting a squire to leave in Keith Richards mode. (g tuning, buh bye low E)
To get that Keith tone you gotta go with the Squier Standard Fat Tele. Bucker in the neck position and standard tele single coil in the bridge. I've got the blonde and love it to death. Mine is in open G 6th string gone. I even took the peg off, makes a perfect hole to hold your smoke.

this one?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I like my MIM strat.

Tele, what series squire do you prefer? I'm thinking of getting a squire to leave in Keith Richards mode. (g tuning, buh bye low E)
To get that Keith tone you gotta go with the Squier Standard Fat Tele. Bucker in the neck position and standard tele single coil in the bridge. I've got the blonde and love it to death. Mine is in open G 6th string gone. I even took the peg off, makes a perfect hole to hold your smoke.

this one?

That's the one, I play it more than damn near any other guitar I own

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

Some Squier are indeed good. But I came across this Squire '51 at a Sam Ash recently. The frets were poking so far out from the sides and were so sharp that even I could figure out that something was wrong. Why is there such a difference in quality ?

The big difference I elieve is in Quality control. It costs a lot of money for a factory to have decent Quality Control checks, and so in the factories that make the Squiers they've probably saved money on not checking the guitars they make so carefully. This is why there is such a range in quality in two guitars of the same model.

Fenders are too expensive for me. Not that I wouldn't love to have one, but for the price you pay for a new fender, Squiere or MIM, you could get a far better made piece of kit from Ibanez/yamaha. I know they don't have the Character of a Fender, but I don't think you can buy character. Character accumulates every time you spill coffee on it, every time you play a great gig with it, every time you get a great sound from it at home, then you get to a gig and it sounds awful. That's what character is.

Just my opinion

But, on the Fender topic, why not look at one of the old Japanese Fenders. They used to be the midpoint between the MIM and the American made, but were probably better made than both. I don't know when they stopped making them.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I've seen a couple of Korean and Japanese models all of which looked pretty high quality to my -admittedly untrained- eye. Especially this one candy red Telecaster made in Japan white cream binding. Damn. I think it was as expensive as USA model though.

Oktay

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

The Japanese ones are very well made. Some would argue as well or better than their American counterparts. I've played a couple of good ones, but around here, they command similar prices, so there's no real benefit one way or the other.

Also, I second the idea of the Highway one. Much closer to the American Standard models in terms of parts, and if you get one used, you can probably get something like the MIM price.

Seems it can't be said too often: On a budget? Buy used! Guitars don't get worn down like shoes, but they depreciate quickly anyways. Getting a used axe is a great way to get quality that would normally be way out of your price range. Just do it. :wink:

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I like my MIM strat.

I have the standard black and chrome tele, very nice indeed, With any squire, I would pick the standard series over the infinity. I think there is a big jump in qaulity between the two IMHO.---the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

Squier Standard Series - fat or not according to taste! But yes, you do have to play as many as possible, they vary enormously. When I picked mine (Std Tele) I played half the Teles in my local Fender main dealers, and the one I chose was much the best. Better than any of the MIM's, and in sound and playability as good as some of the USA ones, though of course the finish isn't quite as spectacular!

YMMV, but I think the Squier Standards are some fo the best value in solid electrics around at the moment. Excellent workingman's (OK workingperson's) guitars: play like butter, sound beautiful, stay in tune, should last pretty much for ever - the only thing that might wear out are the switch & pots, but they're easily replaced :)

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

I will second dogbite's review of the Highway 1 Series. I've crowed about them in other threads. I have had my H1 Strat for about little over 3 years and love it. Plays great and weight is perfect. Some have knocked the finish, but I haven't found it to be a problem - actually, I rather like it. It was set up pretty well out of the box, but I took it for a pro set-up anyway and that made all the difference in the world. Now I do all that myself.

And, Guitar Center will definitely deal on price. You can probably get 10% knocked off.

Steve

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I like my MIM strat.

I have the standard black and chrome tele, very nice indeed, With any squire, I would pick the standard series over the infinity. I think there is a big jump in qaulity between the two IMHO.---the dog
I've got one of those too dog and as you say, it's a great guitar. I recommended the Fat Tele to Ray cause it gives you the bucker in the neck to give you that thicker sound

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I've got a MiM strat, and to me it's just a great guitar. I bought mine in Jan 04, and eer since it's shown no problems. The action was from the factory, and it was great, low, but not rnough to make buzzing noises, and the intonation was fine, as I have never intonated it, but I checked it, and it's good. The only flaw that I now noticed is that along the side of the enck, the frets were a littlew sharp, but that wore down as I played my guitar anyway.(and it stayed in tune for a week with the stock tuners!) and another minor thing is I now ntoice how much the darn thing buzzes, it stays msotly quiet when you have the middle switch selected, but it still gets pretty annoying. I wouldn't really be givng the MiM line a second thought becuase of my good experience with it.

But, as always, try before you buy anything.

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

What bout the deluxe player's strat? Is that any good?

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

strats are versitile guitars. the Deluxe Players Strat makes them more so.
they come with noiseless pickups, which have gotten good reveiws, it has a push button pick up switch and the standard togle. with the button you have seven combinations instead of the standard five. that might be a good thing. not sure what the button does.
the 12 inch radis neck profile could make for some easy playeing.
it comes with a trans finish. if it has an ash body that would be an awesome looking ax.
600$ at Musicians Friend.

hmmm...ya got me thinking.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

the 12 inch radis neck profile could make for some easy playeing.

That depends on what you're playing, it's a real pain if you're doing a lot of chords. However it's definately better for bending and a lot of fast playing. Which is why I've realized I want at least two good strats. :roll:

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Hi there...

The two main issues with the MIM strats (if we are indeed talking about strats) is that they only have 21 frets, and they only come with a vintage bridge. Some Squiers and all the American strats come with 22 frets and the two-point tremolo.

In terms of the Highway 1... I had a H1 strat that had a PHENOMENAL neck (maple). The body was nice, but that finish REALLY scratches. Plus, it isn't even a stained finish, it is a coating - kinda like an M&M candy coating. The hardware on the Highway 1 was all solid. If you don't like the finish of the body, pick up an H1 and a Squier and swap the necks and hardware!

Anyway... the MIM are decent for the money of the standards ($349) but the cost of the higher models makes you wonder ($450 - 700). You can get a new Highway 1 for $629, and probably a used American Standard for $500.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

My thoughts:
1. The quality on mexican fenders that i've played has varied...I'd definately buy a good one, but not over the internet.

2. Japenese Fenders rock!!! I own a mid 80's Jazz Bass, and a Sting signature P-Bass, both made in Japan, and they're just as good as any current production stuff in the $500-$1000 range.

3. Tribute by G&L is also an interesting choice. I believe that they're all american parts assembled overseas. I own one, and it is as least as good as the Jap Fenders, although the headstock doesn't say Fender, and is a slightly different shape(if that matters).

4. I don't usually like current fenders that much since they put those cheesy satin necks on even the american made ones. (the Jap Fenders are usually gloss, so they're okay)

5. My favorite current production Fender that i've played is the aerodyne telecaster. It is made in Japan, gloss neck, looks awesome, and has a P-90 in the neck, which sounds really nice. I'm not sure of the price, but a used one would probably be in the MIM range.

6. Definately buy used!!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3