3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,
I have an Oscar Schmidt 335 copy, with Epiphone replacement pickups, which has a feedback problem. It seems that whenever I play it at any volume, I get horrible microphonic feedback. I was thinking of using it for a gig on Labor Day, and was wondering if there were any quick fixes for the feedback. I've heard about people sealing the f-holes with tape, or stuffing the guitars full of socks. Do these methods work?
I know that the pickups aren't wax potted, and am thinking about potting them myself in the future, but I was wondering if in the meantime there were any quick fixes that might minimize the feedback for this gig.
Thanks for the help...

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Keep the gain down. Don't go crazy with the volume. Stay out of the "sound beam" in front of the speaker(s), including any monitors. Use an EQ between the guitar and amp, identify the frequency of the feedback howl and turn it way down.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I don't really have a choice as far as volume/gain. The gig is with a rock band, using only stage amps for volume(the old fashioned way). I'll be running 40 tube watts through 8 10" speakers, and 4 of them will be right at guitar level. The sound beam thing us interesting. I'll definately try to stay away from right in front of my amp. (I hope there's room) Luckily, since we're only using stage amps, there will be no guitar coming out of the monitors.
Thanks for the tips, ricochet!

ReplyQuote