6 Users
0 Likes
(@snakepit)
Topic starter  

Oops, I pushed the buttom twice...

ReplyQuote
(@snakepit)
Topic starter  

Wow, too much information to digest!, thanks guys.

Ok, first of all, I understand modes enough to jam along with some tracks, but I´m learning Jazz so it´s getting really complex, anyway I want to learn this stuff just because I like to, so I´m not worried about whether other musicians understand them or not, I want to do it.

I would use F lydian but considering that scale is relative to C ionian, I prefer to stay on C ionian and just play some chord tones and characteristic modal tones on every chord instead, and considering that the ear will tell you that the progression is in C major, it makes sense, but that is not what I wanted to do.

I was worried about clashing with the chords I wrote so the idea of "avoids" (so typical in jazz) would be a good approach, kind of hard, but hey, it´s Jazz!. That explains why the classic modal rock track is just a one chord vamp, for example D lydian over 8 bars of a D major chord over and over again and not a chord progression (very clever idea from the autor!). I really liked the idea of thinking about that out of key notes as passing tones, so basically you could play the C Lydian escale over the progression but with some care, cool...
Another approach I saw on a book about modes is to write a "modal" chord progression, like:

F lydian over
Fmaj7 Dm7 Am7 Cmaj7 Fmaj7
(C major anyway but the tonic chord is F)

And not worry about the freaking tones that clash!.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That way you'd still have theory decide your tonal options. Personally, and I'm no expert on playing jazz, I would guess that such an approach might not work too well for jazz as it requires a more free and creative use of scales and modes. Or as my grandma once said:"Be like KingPatzer and work towards chromaticism."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2