Moving along the fretboard...scratchy!

10 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone,

I often seen players who move along the fretboard, say from a gmaj to an Amaj and they don't produce that same scratchy sound that I always do. Sometimes it can be pretty cool, like in the intro to "Wish You Were Here", but I'd like to be able to control it more...make any sense?

any suggestions??

Thanks!

Julius

Meet me tonight in Atlantic City

(@steveobouttorock)
Estimable Member

how do u make a scratchy sound ?

be good at what you can do-

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I believe the sound you are talking about is caused by the windings on the strings. Quite normal.
I have read of strings such as flat wound strings, that are much smoother and will stop the scraping noises. But from what I have heard, not without a cost.
The flat wound and ground strings, from what I have read, do not produce as good a sound.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

learn to lift your fingers ever so slightly off the strings.

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, missile man...scraping is probably a more appropriate sound...guess it just somes with practice and time...like most things. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@ac_canoy)

i rememeber when i heard that first "scratchy" sound i thought something was wrong with my guitar until one of my friends said it was normal

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

And to add just a little.
I started listening to my favorites with the string scratch in mind and sure enough virtually all songs with alot of guitar work, especialy acoustic, had that sound. it just wasn't noticable if you weren't listening for it.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

On an electric, that string squeak will be accentuated with your amp on high-gain. I assume you are talking about sliding from a G to A barre chord?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@geetar66)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, Cor, sliding up from a barre Gmaj to an Amaj barre...and on my acoustic. D'Addario Mediums also...

Julius

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Like Nick said, when you change positions you lift up ever so slightly before the move. It's like three separate motions: lift up, move, press down. You can practice it slowly (just going back and forth between the two chords) and then after awhile it becomes automatic. I still find myself lapsing so I take a few moments and just go through the three distinct motions a few times, then forget about it and go back to playing. Just a little thought on it - the kind of focused thought that connects your mind with your hand - does wonders. It's not something you have to do an hour a day or anything, but just enough so you go *ohhhh, I see!* and then get back to the music.

Scritches, I call them. Nasty bad sometimes especially when you're going through compression.

Pick-scratches (or scrapes) I call Zizzes, but that's an entirely different thing. :)

ReplyQuote