Clear all

Jazz Band???

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@howyadoin)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm thinking about joing my school jazz band next year, but the problem is that i have to try out for the spot. One student in my class tried out and he gave the teacher a demo. He was really good but he didnt make it. He played some song by Racer X and then some fast scales. He is a shedder. I guess that wasn't the style the teacher was looking for cuz he told the student (like a couple days after he tried out) that he already has a guitar player for the jazz band. But last year they had two (this year they have one)....

So I've been wondering, what songs should I learn to play for next year if I wanna make jazz band? I was thinking Anyway You Want it by Journey (I got like most of the song ....it sounds really good..., all i need is the really fast/hard solo)...And then I was thinking some slide guitar (probably Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin' by Journey or Rocky Mountain Way by Joe Walsh.....just got a talk box..so that'll be good). I'm looking for some good CLASSIC
ROCK (NO SHRED)/HEAVY METAL) songs to learn to play that'll probably get me into jazz band. I'm more into The Eagles and Journey than anything else. Is there a lot of slide guitar in jazz?? What songs do you guys think I should learn to play if i wanna get that spot??

Thanks.

(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Maybe this is too obvious but, why not learn a Jazz tune?

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Exactly what hueseph said. Why would you even consider playing anything but jazz? I strongly suspect really fast solos mean nothing to the jazzband teacher/leader, and instead, he is more concerned that his guitarist be able to read music (from the staff, not tablature), plus understand some music theory -- especially chord synthesis and substitution. I doubt the guitarist even needs to know how to do solo improv -- for a jazz band, comping is usually more important, and solos will likely be written out.

Why not ask the teacher what he'd like to hear? It'll probably be something right out of The Real Book (compendium of jazz standards) -- or maybe he'll give you a piece to learn. If you need to choose your own piece, consider something by Pat Metheny -- that would impress.

Link to The Real Book

Good luck.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Yes that would.

Just learn some jazz stuff. The main thing you need to know is how to play some crazy chords and read music. Its all about the chords and the rhythm. You have to know at least basic theory (in my opinion).

Good luck.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah. Reading notation would be the biggest thing the teacher would look for, if not the only thing.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote