Clear all

Vintage Gibson SG vs. modern SG?

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey, I was recently lucky enough to get my hands on a very nice '69 Gibson SG. Its my new dream guitar, I've always loved the look and sound of an SG (big angus young fan), but now that I've played one, I can't think of a different guitar I could possibly want. This thing sounded like heaven and I only heard it through some little battery powered amp. It's got to be the nicest guitar I ever played/heard in my life. Do they still make em like that today, or is that something that only the vintage models sound like. I've never played a modern one, so I'm very interested in finding out. Thanks.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The thing with 60's and early 70's guitars is that they were finished in Nitrocellulose lacquer. Modern guitars in the same price bracket as the SG was in 69 are now finished in Polyurethane. The major difference between the two is that nitro "breathes", so it allows the wood to age and mature, much like the solid top of an acoustic. Poly finished guitars will still age and mature (there are unfinished edges, which will allow the aging process to continue) but very much more slowly.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

A personal opinion is that some of newer Gibson's made after 1995 just don't seem to have the quality and TLC that was used before then. You made a great choice, have fun playing it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I don't think he bought it...

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

60s SGs with P-90s and bigsbies... can't argue.

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Unfortunately I didn't buy one, I played one my friends dads, sorry if i wasn't very clear about that. So overall their just made better and have aged very nicely because of their lacquer that breathes and allows the wood to age more. Why'd the companies switch to Polyurethane if the Nitrocellulose alows it to breath more? I'm guessing its cheaper, but why don't most companies (if any even do) at least give you an option for Nitrocellulose for a little extra money?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The other weakness of Nitro is that it is also very sensitive. Too much sweat, etc will start to remove the nitro lacquer - which explains, to a certain extent, why many "favourite" guitars (EC's Blackie, SRV's Strat, Rory Gallagher's Strat, etc.) all ended up without the finish.
It also requires many more coats to be applied and that costs a lot of time and money, so you'll only find nitro on the more expensive models in a range.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Although it allows the wood to "breathe" (sounds like collectorspeak to me, but oh well...), nitro also lets things in you don't necessarily want, such as water (and/or sweat, as greybeard said), which means you end up with a bit of warping/foul-smelling/foul-looking wood. I suppose it increases sustain by about a microsecond, but in this day and age sustain is a bit of a dead issue.

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Why is that a dead issue?

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

Well, not completely dead, I suppose, but the fact is these days the only people who are worried about sustain from a solidbody electric are the people who constantly try to get their playing faster and neater, thus making sustain a greatly exaggerated problem.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Why is that a dead issue?

Name me one player who needed a note to ring for 20 seconds, without being able to afford a compressor...

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Me

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I doubt very much that finish changes are responsible for the major differences in old and new SGs. There are other, well known changes to the SG that are far more likely to account for tonal and playing differences. Key among these is the variation in the mahoganies used by Gibby over the years -- this difference also extends to the LP line. Other changes include pups and the neck shape and construction. The latter has been changed several times over the life of the SG design to address issues such as lack of stiffness, weak neck-body joint due to the route for the neck pup and the infamous snap-away headstock design.

Gotta agree with Tucker on this: P90s and Bigsby are great on the SG.

-Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

Gibson has never used polyurethane or polyester on their guitars. That's one of their selling points, is that they've always used nitro.

Nitro does cure more quickly, allowing the sound to mature more quickly, and is therefore preferred sonically. The advantage of other types of finish is that they hold a clearer finish for longer and are slightly easier to apply.

gnease is right to say a lot of other things made a more significant difference: Better mahogany and genuine brazilian rosewood, hand wound pickups, different hardware, different pots, different wiring configuration, etc etc etc.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

You should check out the SG Supreme range...Man I'd give my left testicle for one of those

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2