Notifications
Clear all

Vintage Gibson SG vs. modern SG?

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Definitely agree, I'm a big fan of that look and sound, and would definitely trade up my Epi Les Paul towards an SG Supreme.

However, what I'd give my left nut for is the dream SG i've been cooking up in my head, and when I can put a few thousand aside (which in this day and age is looking less likely) the Gibson Custom Shop is getting a special order for the most beautiful, bad-ASS SG that will ever pass through their walls...It's just a far-off dream now, but it'll be manifest one day.

Oh yes. :D

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@thelonius)

All in all I prefer the newer gibsons to older ones. The quality of the wood they goes up as you generally go up the trim line with reissues getting pretty much the best wood. I am told by those wiser than me that the pickups are hit and miss on new gibsons. But what do I know, I've not heard a gibson I haven't liked. If you buy one and don't like the sound there are some really great aftermarket pickups out there. (meaning more of some of the small guys making handmade ones more than dimarzios or other big names.)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2