Notifications
Clear all

music career question

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@lifeisbutadream)
Topic starter  

After high school I would like to go to college for something music related. The thing is I can't read music or play an instrument. I'd like to work behind the scenes some how but I have no clue what I can do.
What options for a career do I have since I don't play an instrument or read music? Should I look into learning to read music if I really want to work in the music field? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

If you want to work behind the scenes, the only job I can think of for non-musicians that actually requires the ability to read music is copyist.

I'd try to refine what you want to do - sound engineering? artist management? publicity and PR? videography? record production? set design? choreography? costume and wardrobe for broadway shows? lighting? graphic arts for CD covers and T-shirts? copyright law? instrument repair? music librarian for a symphony?

Those are just off the top of my head... the 'backstage' stuff is incredibly broad, and takes in just about every skill and trade you can think of. Figure out what turns you on, then figure out how it can be used in the music business - there's probably a home for it somewhere.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

You could always be a studio engineer or sound man - they don't HAVE to be familiar with music. Yeah, it helps if they know if musicians are out of tune/in the wrong key or what have you, but most of it is just getting the balance right or creating a good mix (which comes from having a decent ear). However, I must warn you - unless you work with bands you love all the time (and beggars really can't be choosers in this scenario, you will have to endure some tone-deaf metal-core punks at one stage or another), the amount of sheer pap you have to work with may drive you insane. Most soundmen I know are unbelievably hateful, bitter and twisted individuals which comes from listening to rubbish bands day in, day out. ;)

However, there are thousands of jobs available to you.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I heard an interesting story last night... I was talking to a drummer who gigs a lot with big names, and he was telling me about a show he did with Glenn Campbell. During the sound check, Campbell got there late, and the sidemen had all left for dinner except for the drummer. Campbell needed to check his tuning, so he asked a guy who was standing in the wings (the drummer thought it was an agent) to give him an E note.

So... the guy didn't want to appear ignorant... he walked up to the piano and hit a key. Glenn then tuned to it....

The curtain comes up, the band hits the chord, and Glenn's in F. The drummer said he was blown away by how quickly the sidemen covered, with everyone moving up a half step for the rest of the show.

The moral of the story... even if you work behind the scenes, learning a little bit might save you some embarrassment :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@lifeisbutadream)
Topic starter  

Ha! That is quite a story with a very good moral. I do plan on learning a little something... maybe I'll pick up an instrument and actually try to learn to play it. Le sigh, It's just so hard for me. I hate that I've gone through 17 years of my life without learning to read music. Oh well. I shall be learned one day!

I was really considering the sound engineer thing but now I've had my eyes opened to all these other possibilities that I would enjoy making into a career. Come to think of it, I have another question... Is there a difference between sound engineer and sound technician? Technician is where you repair, right? Or am I just insane?

I'm just enthralled in all aspects of music creation. I can't help myself, I love sound.

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

I believe the engineer's job is more fix-it based, technicians are usually on-board troubleshooters and mixers.

ReplyQuote