Notifications
Clear all

Music journalist/critic ?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@vicky)
Topic starter  

I would love to be a music critic or music journalist. I love going to concerts, listening to CD's from indies and mainstream, and I enjoy writing my opinions on music. What a dream job, and I can handle its set backs. Working for a magazine or even an online critic site would be good. But my question is, is this an entry level job? And with a journalism degree in which I plan to pursue, is this a stable job?
Thanks

(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Hi Vicky;

As you may know, we accept reviews and articles from our readers.  A-J is the editor of that section, and he always wants more content.
You can read some of his reviews on the Home page.

So feel free to write some "practice" pieces, which A-J will edit and then (likely) post here.  You can also send them into magazines that you think would be interested, and if they like them, they might come back and ask you to write some more - for money.

Writing, like music, requires the right amount of talent, timing, and luck figure into your success.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

It certainly can be a steady job. And I think Laz is right in that you can help get yourself off to a good start by submitting reviews. We're going to be posting (soon) a "Help Wanted" section here at Guitar Noise and I know that reviewers are deperately needed. This could be a great way for you to build up a portfolio to show your future employers.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@ibnzmusician)
Eminent Member

Being a journalist could definately be a steady job if you found a magazine who wanted you. The first step would be to build a portfolio though, like these guys mentioned. Send your stuff to anyone who will accept it. Start here, but also try sending it to music-related magazines that accept articles by those not employed by the magazine. Getting something in print would add to your credibility.

ReplyQuote