Clear all

My 2 new babies....

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So I decided after a few months of consideration (and saving) to go buy myself an ovation guitar...I have played many, and I love lots of them. So I hit up my local Guitar Center, and play around for about 2 hours. Then while walkin around I see this used dusty beat up lookin 12 string for 300$. I figure what the hell...gotta see what it sounds like right? Un-freakin-beleivable!! So I ended up leaving with 2 guitars...

I got an Ovation celebrity koa guitar (links below), and a seagul m12 12 string...2 - 2 year warranties, 2 gig bags (road runner I think), Some alchemy strings for the ovation, and d'addarios for the 12 string (dunno what 12 strings I like yet), a nice $20 guitar strap all for $900. All in all I think I did fairly well =). The links are below, however I will try to take some pictures (though I dont get the 12 string till may 7th :( ). Though I have no clue how to post pictures here.

http://www.ovationguitars.com/index.cfm?fa=detail&mid=1810

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Guitar/Acoustic?sku=512127

I play fairly detuned and the koa guitar is just downright rich and vibrant sounding...plus the built in tuner rocks!

Many animals were harmed in the making of this signature.

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Congrats & have fun with your new toys! :D

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

On a side note-- It had to be odd for the people there to see this sorta 'goth' looking guy come in and play some wierd de-tuned blues and jazz stuff on an accoustic guitar and 12 string...

But what can I say? I am ecclectic that way :D

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

I've been looking at 12 strings....wanna get one in about 6 months or so....did you play any other 12's to compare this one to?

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Nice guitars, havoc!

Enjoy!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I've been looking at 12 strings....wanna get one in about 6 months or so....did you play any other 12's to compare this one to?

Yea I played a martin, takamine, and ovation 12 string, and wasnt too impressed with them. But yea, the guitars I played ranged from 200$ to 3000$. The best part is that none of the higher range guitars sounded better to my ears than the ones I got.

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Yeah havoc... youll find the Price and The old dudes name on the headstock coincide very closely...

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@ldavis04)
Reputable Member

Yea I played a martin, takamine, and ovation 12 string, and wasnt too impressed with them. But yea, the guitars I played ranged from 200$ to 3000$. The best part is that none of the higher range guitars sounded better to my ears than the ones I got.

Thx...I'll have to check out the seagull.....

I may grow old, but I'll never grow up.

ReplyQuote
(@havocdragon)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Yeah havoc... youll find the Price and The old dudes name on the headstock coincide very closely...[/quote

LOL, too true.

Evenso, when you pick up a several thousand dollar 12 string guitar, you dont expect to hear mud commin out of it. Maybe it was old strings, but the seagull had old strings and still sounded excellent. IMHO, if you are going to make someone pay $3k for a guitar, the craftsmanship and sound quality better be top notch

ReplyQuote