Clear all

Making guitar effects as a business

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@prndl)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I just finished making an Ibanez TS-808 clone, and am finishing a custom pedal that makes a sound like Boston.

I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, so I can understand schematics, design and modification,
although I am a bit rusty at it.

Is it possible to set up a profitable business building and selling custom guitar effects pedals?

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

(@manitou)
Estimable Member

If you have something different and of good quality to offer people will buy it. Profitibilty is directly dependent on how you run things, would it be a one man shop or an outsourced operation? Things to considder.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

"profitable" is a relative term.

In all likelihood, what you're doing won't get you far by itself but might make some good extra change.

Your first big problem would be actually having the rights to produce the item you're using a schematic for. There are IP rights issues involved that don't mean much when you're making a pedal for personal use, but can really be a big deal if you're selling them in bulk.

Then there's the issue of buying in bulk to get a decent price point.

It's probably something you can make some spare change doing, but real money isn't going to be found here unless you're mod'ing pedals and are really good at it.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

Yeah, even if you could make the schematics yerself, and get the rights worked out there is the issue of getting financial backing... Ive run into that problem with a few business ventures of my own, but if you can work it and its something youre good at give it a shot, noone ever made it by not trying. Noone that still matters anyway :)

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

This is probably worth the read. It sorts out some of the info regarding patents.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@theruffianshow)

I started a podcast called The Ruffian Show where I interview guitar pedal business owners specifically about their business. I've had a bunch of different guys on the show from Brian Wampler to JHS and Fuzzrocious to ChaseBlissAudio. I highly recommend checking it out if you're looking to start a business in this gear industry!

It's available on iTunes or any podcast player.
-Dan Deleon
http://theruffianshow.podbean.com/

ReplyQuote