Skip to content
My Christmas Presen...

Notifications
Clear all

My Christmas Present - better late than never?

19 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes! Highway One Tele, blonde of course, and chock full of American tone. It's pretty pure and simple.

No bells and whistles, I love it. I wanted the vintage 3 barrel bridge, well, actually I wanted this tele.

The ash is sweet and the maple board is authentic sounding, except no Blackguard? It is white? :shock:

I may go to Don Mare for a "Nancy" kit with 3 positions plus a push/pull: bridge tapped to under 7K or untapped, next is neck wide open, and then neck with either a tone cap or special filter. It's probably a moot point, since I've seen Roy Buchanan (youtube) play other Teles, and still sound good.

I may invest the extra money which I don't have for pickups, on a Boss DD-7 instead, but they're pricey here at $289 plus tax, more than the pup kit. It looks as if I will buy a Fender G-DEC Amp, NOS/discontinued, and dial up a greater variety of tones and FX, and still have 30 watts of noise for free? :lol:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

That's one great guitar, congrats! I would slap a black pick guard on there myself. 8)

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Nice! 8)

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like that!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

hey Bluejay. now we have two of the same guitars. I also own a Hwy 1 tele. love it. twangy cool.
I have the exact same color. however, I believe that the Hwy1 series is not made of ash.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member

congrats! Highway One's are great guitars. I have a HSS strat model.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Another Teleholic budding!

Just remember . . . REAL MEN play a Telecaster. :mrgreen:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Beautiful guitar!

Congrats!

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thank you all for your comments. :D Dogbite, that's a coincidence that we have the same guitar. 8)

I guess it's alder, these specs have always been constant, I remember now, and can't look at previous years.

I'm happy that mine is so light, not the color but the weight! I like the convenience of having a not-so-heavy body. :wink:

I also like the tonal range of the guitar, from the bright chicken-pickin' bridge, to the neck which can be warm & jazzy. I'm not too sure if I would give 100 percent to the "Greasebucket tone circuit" because I still have to turn up the treble on the amp, along with reverb and presence, to match some of my other guitars, and because I want her to sound like "Nancy" the original 1953-but-modded famed Telecaster below.

Nevertheless, I'm sure that the master of that Telecaster, Roy Buchanan used some delay and effects, but I'm not sure which ones. When I use the available delay and either the chorus or tremolo on my Roland Cube, it comes eerily close - that's heading in the right direction. But overall, I prefer the glassy glowing tubes and 12" speaker of my Blues Deluxe which has no effects, no delay, just purity with "Brightness", "Presence", deep, dripping wet, underground reverb. :lol:

Here is a youtube which is illustrative of 'that sound', or close to it, although the Tele isn't Nancy, and doesn't have to be. Roy always just spanked 'em and made 'em cry. Sorry about the video quality, or maybe his style here, which sounds like he's driving a radio-controlled toy racecar? Hope it's OK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkbM1M1WN0w&feature=related

And here we have Highway One specs, non-Texas version, matching my model #. I did get the Hot Vintage (fibre instead of plastic) Pickups but only the actual Texas Tele has ash, except for any other changes without notice or mistakes. :shock:

Web Instrument Type: Telecaster®
Model Name: Highway One™ Telecaster®
Model Number: 011-1260-(Color #) and 011-1262-(Color #)
Series: Highway Oneâ„¢ Series
Colors: (300) 3-Color Sunburst,
(306) Flat Black,
(367) Honey Blonde,
(375) Midnight Wine,
(Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)
Body: Alder
Neck: Maple, Modern �C� Shape,
(Satin Urethane Finish)
Fingerboard: Rosewood (P/N 011-1260) or Maple (P/N 011-1262), 9.5� Radius (241 mm)
No. of Frets: 22 Jumbo Frets
Pickups: 2 Hot Tele® Single-Coil Pickups with Alnico 3 Magnets (Neck & Bridge)
Controls: Master Volume, Master Greasebucketâ„¢ Tone Circuit (Rolls Off Highs without Adding Bass)
Pickup Switching: 3-Position Blade:
Position 1. Bridge Pickup
Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups
Position 3. Neck Pickup
Bridge: Vintage Style 3-Saddle Strings-Thru-Body Tele Bridge
Machine Heads: Fender®/Ping® Standard Cast/Sealed Tuning Machines
Hardware: Chrome
Pickguard: 3-Ply Parchment
Scale Length: 25.5� (648 mm)
Width at Nut: 1.6875� (43 mm)
Unique Features: Satin Nitrocellulose Lacquer Body Finish,
2 Hot Tele® Single-Coil Pickups,
Dot Position Inlays
Strings: Fender Super 250L, Nickel Plated Steel,
Gauges: (.009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042),
p/n 073-0250-003
Accessories: Deluxe Gig Bag
Case: Deluxe Gig Bag
Introduced: 7/2006
Notice: Product Prices, Features, Specifications and Availability Are Subject To Change Without Notice

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've always liked that butterscotch color on a Tele.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

THAT is my next guitar.. seriously.. I checked on out one time and loved it. I just didnt have the money.

Nice gift.

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I've always liked that butterscotch color on a Tele.

THAT is my next guitar.. seriously.. I checked on out one time and loved it. I just didnt have the money.

Nice gift.

Thanks guys. geoo, I hope you get your's. The Texas version might be worth the extra scratch, for the pickups and ash, which I think I got by accident, so I like the old fibre and wax pickups and still think or want to believe I got ash - I see ash through the transparency and inside, and feel it too??? but I didn't get the brass saddles - I'll think about that, but why mess with the intonation again? The 3 saddles are touchy, you make compromises without compensated saddles.

So, it wasn't correctly set up anyhow, but I took it all apart carefully when I brought it home, it took 3 hours. I shimmed the neck, removed the guard (man I wish I had a new black to put on :evil: ) raised the neck pup, and raised the saddles. Hmmm.... I felt I lost a nuance of tone and sustain, couldn't be sure, but unbuttoned 'er all again removed the shim, cursed the lack of a blackguard once more, did the truss rod, lowered the saddles extremely low like low riders, holy cow!, but increased BOTH pickup heights, and now she sings, and plays eee-zee-lee. :lol:

The action is not too low, the strings sit where the middle of the finger pushes just right and bends 'em like silly. :shock: That makes a neat crying sound, since I'm not too swift on rolling a stiff volume knob, and getting swells yet.

I did a little research on Roy and studied, studied and studied the video more. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deeBQZ8Aklc also here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Buchanan Aha, so "Buchanan rarely used effects pedals, though he started using an Echoplex on A Street Called Straight (1976)." That WAS the missing link.

I HAVE his tone (thank you Lord) but not his talent (!@#$%!) and only the echo, or delay, as I said earlier, is missing. It should be all fun and all hobby, but I was taking it rather seriously, if not badly till I figured you gotta turn the treble on the amp way up, also more volume - then you work the tonal effects from the guitar. I thought it was the guitar's fault at first, for being close, but no cigar, then fixed it with the amp. That's there in Wiki, he maxed out the amp, and used subtleties on the Tele, like no other. I'm working on getting the echo or delay, but have to go, or I'll miss out on it now.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I bought the Fender G-DEC 30, Guitar Digital Entertainment Center. My goodness, it even plays Stray Cat Strut, Psychedelia, and everything from Shredders' metal, to Tons O' Blues, Surfin' sounds and Greensleeves? Connections for MP3, CD and Midi in and out on the back, stereo outs and connections for a cab. It has drums, multi FX, the standard amp models, recording, looping, music/tablature bar analysis or something - hey, you already know about it.
It was cheaper than the Boss DD-7 by far, and I got the whole she-bang, instead of the pedal, for the delay. :roll:

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM06/article/Fender/G-DEC-30.html

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just remember . . . REAL MEN play a Telecaster.

Can I get an "AMEN?"

Yeah - amen to that, Brother Doug! With an added rider - real men can make a Squier Tele sound goooooood!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats on the cool tele. 8)

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2