Clear all

My Epi SG Is Back

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I just picked up my EPI SG from the guitar shop yesterday. I bought this SG a year ago at my favorite store's going out of business sale for a decent discount. It's always played nice, but the bite I was looking for wasn't there. I knew it when I bought it. So, I finally got up off my butt and got a couple of SD P.Us installed. 59-neck, Duncan Distortion-bridge.

Me really likey the neck. Great screamer.

Jury still out on the bridge. Better than what I had, but I have not found it's niche yet. I only had limited time to mess with it last night. I'm pretty sure that it will good for the 'ol power chord though.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@shredhed)
Eminent Member

Yeah, that pickup really is nice. I've got it on my X50. It's on my neck though. I've been thinking of swapping. I think they're the same on Zakk Wyldes... I might be wrong....

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Better than what I had, but I have not found it's niche yet.

Nicely put. :D That's the trick - finding the "niche" where the fingers/amp/pickup/music style combination all comes together nicely. 8) I put an SD bridge p/up on my Yamaha strat copy and it really lifted the sound in a very noticeable and positive way. But because I'm not yet a very organised or consistent player, some days it sounds really excellent, and on others my playing just isn't really right for the characteristics of that pickup.... :wink:

I'm thinking of trying some some Gibson pickups on one of my Epi Sgs. But before I do the swap, I want to get a few more things really nailed on the guitar as it now is, so that I can evaluate the difference more accurately.

Enjoy your 'new' guitar. Whatever the end result it should provide a lot of fun testing out all the new possibilities. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote