Clear all

My first day of Guitar Playing

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@quento19)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well, I got my very first guitar today. I'm getting a teacher, but obviously he wasn't going to teach me today. I went to some self teaching sites. So far I know six chords almost by heart. I'm practicing doing songs, but I can't switch my fret fingers fast enough at this moment. How am I doing so far?

(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like you're off to a good start. :D

Keep at it each day, and you'll be playing your favorite songs before you know it.

Good luck,
Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

this website will be your dojo, and your teacher will be your master. Or something like that, but this website is amazing, I never had a teacher, but just read a lot online, and I feel fine about where I'm at (2 years now). By the way I recommend a teacher.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

quento19

Congrats on starting guitar. :D

Everyday will be just like today. You will never feel that you are good enough, or know enough.

It's like that saying, life is a journey, not a destination. The joy of playing guitar comes through the long struggle learning to play. If it were easy, it really wouldn't be as much fun, or mean as much to you. So never get discouraged. It is difficult for every guitar player.

All I can say to any person who starts guitar is this:

MAKE UP YOUR MIND RIGHT NOW TO PLAY GUITAR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

I mean, if you aren't going to really play guitar, then why start in the first place?

The only real secret is to keep playing. Just keep playing and sooner or later you will be a good guitarist. The more you practice, the sooner you will be a good guitarist.

Sorry about the lecture. Hey, play that guitar and have fun!

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@gotthelife)

Everything that Wes said is very true. Your first few months of guitar playing are usually the most frustrating but if you keep practising over and over it will eventually come to you. Most of the times you wont even realize it. You mentioned that you are having some difficulty moving your fingers on the fretboard... one tip i can give you is to find some easy scales on the internet and focus on moving your fingers on the frets slowly and accuratly. eventually you can pick up the speed. This will greatly improve picking, accuracy, and speed. Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Congrats on your new guitar.
Words of wisdom from Wes. Keep working at it and don't get frustrated.

From my experience, get used to practicing with a metronome AND learn a bit of theory everyday.
Speed will come, initially concentrate on fretting the chords correctly and ringing all the notes.

Happy Playing and keep us posted on your developments.

Vic

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Welcome to the world of guitars.

It will all come together the more you get into learning and practicing. You'll find plenty of material right here on the forum. Don't be affraid to ask questions if there's anything you don't understand. There are plenty of great folks here willing to help. Most of all have fun.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@quento19)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice guys. My first lesson starts this Saturday so I'm kind of excited. Today I just practiced the chords I know and some scales. I'm trying to speed up my fret hand.

ReplyQuote