Notifications
Clear all

My new Fender... (with sound clips)

39 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I just saw a MIM Fender Classic '50s reissue Strat posted on Craigslist today for $350. Hmmm, I have to get rid of my standard first. I've been thinking of getting a used MIA standard or older Highway one. Now I think I may check these out.

http://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/msg/461966459.html

Nice guitar! Play the paint off it!

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Speaking of which.... Clapton played a 56 2 color burst Strat through a 5 watt 50's Champ amp all thru the Layla album....
That would be My vote for the name! (or as Clapton says - Lay-ler 8) )
And it will be the name. And you will be the godfather. If you wish, of course!

Wow!
ThankX Nuno!
I would be honored! :D :D :D :D

About the amps - I've never seen any pictures of him using them - And I've heard conflicting stories as to the exact years...
Some say mid 50's tweed Champs (which would be wide panel amps),
Some say early 50's (which would be TV amps)....

He apparently had 2 or 3 of them actually,
And on some songs... even had Duane play through a Champ as well!

My guess would be on 'Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad'....
I can pretty much tell who's who on all the tracks except that one.
(Of course Duane didn't play on the first two tracks - 'I Looked Away' & 'Bell Bottom Blues')

Anyway - Take good care of our sweetie - Lay-ler :wink:

And don't listen to anyone else - guitars get 'properly' broke in through lots of LOVE....
Not wore out through lots of abuse!

Welcome to the Fender Lover/Owners Club!

Ken :wink:

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Ksac32, Ricochet, AK! :D

Riff Raff, the Classic '50s is also a great guitar, but remember it is another model. I played it and it sounds and feels good. It isn't Custom Shop designed and at least the neck, pickups are tuning machines are different. If you have any chance, play it before purchase it. 8)

my favorite switch setting is #4. it is the one that turns the bridge and middle pickup on.
it DOES has a tele tone. for me, it has that electric guitar Ry Cooder sound.
I call that setting my 'Cooder switch' .
Each one has his/her own guitar heroes. I'll call that setting the 'Dogbite switch'. :D

Welcome to the Fender Lover/Owners Club!
Thanks! :D

Always it's very funny try to imagine who is playing what part when the songs are played by two or more well known people. Sometimes it is easier than others. For example, it is more or less easy to say who play in 'Riding with the King' (mainly by the guitar tone) but when played Allman and Clapton...

BTW, I know, it is surprising but I don't have the Derek & The Dominos' Layla record. One of my friends at the school years had an older brother who had all these records (vinil). We heard a lot of classic rock then. I'm pretty sure I had a cassette recording once (of course, in the past century, in the pre-napster era). I'll fix the problem this week. ;)

Meanwhile, this is a good version of 'Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad'. This time Derek (Trucks) plays with Clapton. It seems it will not be available at the final DVD Crossroads '07. It will be released next Nov 20th, I don't know if worldwide, but I'm pretty sure it should be a nice birthday present. :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Very nice, Nuno! I had a strange feeling when I bought the Telecaster it wouldn't be too long before you bought a Strat! Looking forward to soundclips.

I wonder what would have happened, the day I bought the Tele, if the first guitar I'd seen had been a white Strat? Hmmmm....nah, I think I'd still have gone for the Tele!

BTW, CitiZenNoir....now you're the official godfather, if anything happens to Nuno, you have the responsibility of giving his Strat a good home and upbringing....think you're up to the task? :wink:

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

Great looking guitar Nuno. Congrats!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Who's Richie Kotzen?

ROFL @ neztok, who is laughing too ...

NUNO: congrats! 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Who's Richie Kotzen?
ROFL @ neztok, who is laughing too ...
Oh my God! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks Mitch! I didn't understand!

And sorry Neztok! :oops:

Great looking guitar Nuno. Congrats!
Thanks! 8)

I had a strange feeling when I bought the Telecaster it wouldn't be too long before you bought a Strat!
I told you, the way you wrote about your Tele made me I decided on Fender. Sometimes people say there is not the same quality in all their guitars but, who cares, you want to buy just one guitar.

Thanks Vic.

And I'll upload the sound clips tonigh or tomorrow. I was recording yesterday and now I have to edit the tracks.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

I wonder what would have happened, the day I bought the Tele, if the first guitar I'd seen had been a white Strat? Hmmmm....nah, I think I'd still have gone for the Tele!

BTW, CitiZenNoir....now you're the official godfather, if anything happens to Nuno, you have the responsibility of giving his Strat a good home and upbringing....think you're up to the task? :wink:

Vic

Hi Vic :D

I'm trying to picture you with a Strat..... :|
Hmmmmm, I think you're firmly cemented in my mind with a Tele....
And the thing is - seeing one in YOUR hands, actually makes the TELE look COOL! 8)
Don' know how you do it....?

And hey - You never did give us that report as to playing your friend Stu's Strat after he had it set up....?
(At least not that I'm aware)

I think I could take good care of Little Layla and provide her with a happy home :wink:

The thing is Vic, England is a lot closer to Spain than the U.S. (For those who weren't aware :P )....
I'm thinkin' that YOU might have to take care of her til I can get there....
Whada ya say???? :D

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

So is Neztok the AntiKotzen?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wrkngclsshero)
Trusted Member

Sharp strat buddy. Hope you get many years out of it!

"A working class hero is something to be..." -J. Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

that is a sweet litle strat.

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Congrats, Nuno.

I'm proud of you for going Maple. I love my Maple necked Strat. :D

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just checked my Tele - yup, Maple neck. Squier Tele? Yup, also maple neck.....

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Just checked my Tele - yup, Maple neck. Squier Tele? Yup, also maple neck.....
Yeah, the maple neck are very smooth. Some people don't like it but I prefer to the rosewood neck in my LP.

Thanks Bish, Crkt246, WrkngClssHero! :D

Ok, the demo is available at SoundClick. Sorry, I don't know if it is too long. :?

I tried to play the same scale in each switch position and some tunes and chords, strummed or fingerpicked, according to the tone suggested to me. All the knobs (volume and tones) at 10. I use one of these things for the recording, and my Mac with GarageBand as usual. No effects were added. No modellers. Just the guitar. This is guitar sound test. I'll make some recording through the amp next time.

The timing is as follows:

Position 1 - 0'00" - Bridge alone.
Position 2 - 0'52" - The Dogbite Position. Bridge + Middle.
Position 3 - 1'45" - Middle alone.
Position 4 - 3'28" - Bridge + Neck (unconventional, as you know usually it is Middle + Neck).
Position 5 - 4'53" - Neck alone.

I didn't before but the pick ups are Fender '57/'62. Fender says "Vintage" at the specs but I find it in somewhere. And there is a mistake, too. The second tone also modifies bridge pick up.

Feel free to ask for specific test or sounds. I'll do... if I'm able to do it! :mrgreen:

Feel free to throw tomatoes to the artist. :shock:

The guitar is much better than it sounds. My fingers are my fingers! :(

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3