Notifications
Clear all

My New (Used) Squier Strat...

75 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

VIC:Smokindog bought a similar model at the same time, difference is I think he uses his (mostly) for slide.....

Actually i intended to use it mostly for slide, but i ended up using it as my main axe :D--the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

Aren't you the one whos got all those new electrics? Whats the worry about not having the cheapo strat, you can practice on your other axes. Also, like others have said doing a setup should be learned and if you dont care about how to do a setup thats your money. Its obvious when messing with a guitar something can go wrong, but settle down and work through it. Thats the only way

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Hey Mike, I'm sure there is member or two here from NY that would help you out if you brought it to them. NY is a pretty small state so I would'nt think it would cost much in gas... Just a thought.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Mike,
You asked how to make these adjustments trying to get rid of buzzing you had all along. I just re-read this whole thread. Playing level has nothing to do with being able to do a setup the first time.
One thing I can say is in one of your earlier post you said you were going to take it in and get it set up for .10s, you still have that option.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I'd have to say it doesn't matter if your a beginner. If your not mildly mechanically inclined on the other hand definately stay away from a self setup.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

A friendly word from your local moderator:

A tone of frustration and annoyance could easily creep into this thread. That would be unfortunate. Let's keep this discussion cool, calm, and collected, all right? Clearly any advice that's been offered has been offered in a spirit of wanting to help.

I don't know that any more needs to be said on this topic. Let's keep any further comments or questions to specifics about the set-up. No more discussion about whether the advice is or was appropriate. That's headed in the wrong direction. Otherwise I'll lock this one down.

'nuff said.

Thanks, folks.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Lots of beginners have performed their own setup. The advice on Mr Gearhead, Nils page and within these posts are all right on target on how to do a setup.

If you feel like you need to post in CAPS or find a way to defeat the censor, don't do it. Calm down first and then post.

If you take the same frustration level to your guitar to do the setup, it'll never work. Get Zen with it baby.

Heck, I'm in New York city today, it's a long way from Rochester though.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I had a similar frustration last December. An early Axemas gift to myself resulted in an Ibanez rg320 with the rose style bridge. I went through heck trying to get this thing tuned and otherwise set up properly. I was getting very cheesed off and very frustrated. I had spent $350 on a "paperweight". All of a sudden I began to understand it. Nowadays, I can adjust this thing any which way I want.

Nils, your site's setup pages were not found until after this episode, but it's already saved me $$$ on the other axes. Thanks.

The moral of this story? None, really. In hindsight, I am really glad this happened to me though. I don't think I'm ready to go replacing nuts yet, but when I do, it will be on a cheapo axe. :)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Nils, your site's setup pages were not found until after this episode, but it's already saved me $$$ on the other axes. Thanks.

The moral of this story? None, really. In hindsight, I am really glad this happened to me though. I don't think I'm ready to go replacing nuts yet, but when I do, it will be on a cheapo axe. :)
Always happy to hear when it helps someone out. Thanks :D

Yes, changing a nut can be a harrowing (or is that Halloween :lol: ) experience. Nice to have a spare on hand just in case.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

i have to ask this because i'm thinking of doing some things myself also.

how is replacing a "nut" more difficult then adjusting a neck?
with all the possible variables involved like intonation, floating tremolos, etc, i would think replacing a nut would be childs play in comparison.
is there something about replacing the nut that would not be obvious to a beginner like myself?

btw, Nils i wouldn't even think of going to anyone else for advice on this. your site Rox!

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

I switched a nut on a Guitar I was babysitting(Before I aquired it it had busted at the high E string) went to the local shop found one with the right string spacing brought it home installed it and the slots were to deep. What did I do? I shimmed it up with nut shaped pieces of soda can 3 of them to be exact. I'm pretty sure there still on there as the owner of the guitar is totally clueless when it comes to fixing stuff. I'd love to be there when he finally takes it to a tech. What the $%^#$ is this? :lol: :lol:

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I switched a nut on a Guitar I was babysitting(Before I aquired it it had busted at the high E string) went to the local shop found one with the right string spacing brought it home installed it and the slots were to deep. What did I do? I shimmed it up with nut shaped pieces of soda can 3 of them to be exact. I'm pretty sure there still on there as the owner of the guitar is totally clueless when it comes to fixing stuff. I'd love to be there when he finally takes it to a tech. What the $%^#$ is this? :lol: :lol:

have you ever read "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintanance"?
cutting out shims from soda or beer cans sounds familiar :lol:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

with all the possible variables involved like intonation, floating tremolos, etc, i would think replacing a nut would be childs play in comparison.
is there something about replacing the nut that would not be obvious to a beginner like myself?!
Replacing a nut really isn't that bad of a job as long as you have the tools and patience. You can get a nut that is precut for your guitar for both neck width and string slot placement which reduces the amount of work. The problem is that the string height will be off, unless you are real lucky, since they cut the nut slots high intentionally. If you have a set of nut files and take your time measuring and filing then it is doable. I would not recommend doing it unless you have the files since they are special sizes and shapes. Just need to pay attention to things like not making the slot too deep (buzz at 1st few frets) or too wide (rattle), making sure that the angle of the slot is going down towards the headstock (so the string does not catch when tuning or bending), and protect the neck and headstock.
btw, Nils i wouldn't even think of going to anyone else for advice on this. your site Rox!

Thanks.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

i have to ask this because i'm thinking of doing some things myself also.

is there something about replacing the nut that would not be obvious to a beginner like myself?

I would much rather do a setup (neck and bridge) on an electric than have to a from-a-blank nut replacement ... any day. Doing a good job on a nut replacement has an element of subtlety that most beginners won't appreciate, and maybe not detect right away. If you're going to do a replacement for the first time, get two nuts, as there's a good chance you will botch the first. And keep some baking soda and superglue nearby. :wink:

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5