Notifications
Clear all

My New (Used) Squier Strat...

75 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

exactly the kind of insight and advice we've come to expect here.

thanx loads guys, i think you may have just saved me a lot of "do-over" time and frustration

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Gnease

Good point on the super glue. I usually try to save the filings. If anybody is wondering you can mix the filings or baking soda with the super glue and fill the slot in a little if you make it too low.

Now Gnease, reply to this and you are officially a "GuitarNoise addict" (2000 posts)

Nils

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Gnease, not to cross thread too much but my question is related. So if I do purchase one of the Telly kits that you suggested in my thread, will the nut come precut or is this something I am going to have to worry about. I'm a little worried about dropping a $100 and not being able to get all the kit parts together.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Great info on the nut guys. I have a pretty cheap acoustic and have been toying with the idea of attempting to replace the plastic nut and saddle with bone or something similar. Would it have that much affect on tone?

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have a question about Mike's guitar. It sounds to me the neck isn't responding very quickly to a truss rod adjustment. I don't think he tightened the truss rod. I've read on other sites that some times when you loosen the truss rod that you have to wait a few days for the neck to naturaly bend. Does this not happen very often? How come no one has mentioned it?

Maybe Mike needs to throw some 11's on it and let it sit for a couple of weeks... :shock:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Great info on the nut guys. I have a pretty cheap acoustic and have been toying with the idea of attempting to replace the plastic nut and saddle with bone or something similar. Would it have that much affect on tone?

A lot of people swear there is a big difference but someone had posted a test on here awhile back and found no noticeable difference to the ear.

Bone tends to be a little softer and can help with tuning since the string is less likely to hang up on a good cut bone nut.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Gnease

Good point on the super glue. I usually try to save the filings. If anybody is wondering you can mix the filings or baking soda with the super glue and fill the slot in a little if you make it too low.

Now Gnease, reply to this and you are officially a "GuitarNoise addict" (2000 posts)

Nils

Yeah, I save the bone filings too.

This addict thing is old hat. I've "crossed over" three times, now.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Gnease, not to cross thread too much but my question is related. So if I do purchase one of the Telly kits that you suggested in my thread, will the nut come precut or is this something I am going to have to worry about. I'm a little worried about dropping a $100 and not being able to get all the kit parts together.

Geoo

It's pre-shaped, pre-slotted and mounted, but might need some tweaking. BTW, it's easy to find pre-shaped nuts for Teles and Strats. Acoustic nuts are the ones that need the most work.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I have a question about Mike's guitar. It sounds to me the neck isn't responding very quickly to a truss rod adjustment. I don't think he tightened the truss rod. I've read on other sites that some times when you loosen the truss rod that you have to wait a few days for the neck to naturaly bend. Does this not happen very often? How come no one has mentioned it?

Maybe Mike needs to throw some 11's on it and let it sit for a couple of weeks... :shock:

I think he went from 9's to 10's which would give the same effect that you are thinking of.

And yes, I think Mike had gone the wrong way and also too much. I thought that was mentioned on here (maybe in a PM). That is why it is recommended to make sure you are measuring it and turning it in the right direction and just a little at a time (1/8 turn) and let it settle before turning more.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

This addict thing is old hat. I've "crossed over" three times, now.

I think 4 more times will make it stick HaHa

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

A lot of people swear there is a big difference but someone had posted a test on here awhile back and found no noticeable difference to the ear.

I don't know about the nut, but I replaced the plastic saddle on my Yamaha acoustic with a Tusq saddle and it made a very noticeable improvement in clarity and sustain. Much brighter, too. An easy DIY project following the instructions here: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/MakeNewSaddle/newsaddle01.html

Not sure if I'd bother with a "cheap acoustic" though. :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I don't know about the nut, but I replaced the plastic saddle on my Yamaha acoustic with a Tusq saddle and it made a very noticeable improvement in clarity and sustain. Much brighter, too. An easy DIY project following the instructions here: http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Guitar/Setup/MakeNewSaddle/newsaddle01.html

I agree 100%. That can make a big difference. At the saddle the change is more pronounced since that is where the sound/vibrations are transmitted to the body.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I noticed that with my Squier '51. I replaced the stock 9s with skinny-top/heavy bottom (10-52) strings, set it up and adjusted intonation. Had to adjust the neck again a week or so later, and had to tweak intonation again, too.

But is it also possible that Mike has some problem frets?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

The more I hear about nut replacements, the less I ever want to do one. Same with anything on my acoustic except truss-rod. I know my limits. I totally lack any finesse when it comes to that kind of thing.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

The more I hear about nut replacements, the less I ever want to do one. Same with anything on my acoustic except truss-rod. I know my limits. I totally lack any finesse when it comes to that kind of thing.

Truthfully I hardly recommend anyone doing it. I have done a few and still don't like doing it even though I am comfortable now.

Not to mention the damage a "bull in a china shop" could do removing the old one.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 5