Skip to content
Notifications
Clear all

N.I.B. "Crunch" tone?

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

As I mentioned in another thread I was fooling around with N.I.B. by Black Sabbath so as to practice power chords. However, I would also like to have the proper tone to "motivate" me while I am playing. However, with 3 distortion pedals and a V-Amp I can't seem to find that "crunch" Tony Iomni has in this song? I know there is a flanger being used but the lack of crunch is driving me nuts...

It's like when your cereal gets soggy...it's all mushy! :lol:

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Mike are you using humbuckers? Without them there is no crunch.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike are you using humbuckers? Without them there is no crunch.

Yes I am using my LP with Humbuckers. That's what I can't figure out. However, if you listen to the song the crunch is very unique...hard to describe.

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Here's all he used Tony Iommi's Gear And here's the RangeMaster he used Dallas Arbiter

My guess would be crank up the treble. Give us a sample to evaluate.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

well with all six of those laney 100 watt master volume style heads all slaved out to one control I hope to god you could get some kindof crunch. Better be the best crunch ever!

I am using a tech21 amp. The trademark 30 so if you have any kindof Marshall or rectifier style setting. (not sure how the V-amp operates) go with that. And use the scooped mid style EQ with less bass than treble and just a very small splash of mids. Not to mention turn the gain up!!!

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Thanks for the tips guys! I honestly would not have thought to turn the treble UP since it sounds like it has some serious bass to the song. I'll also try the "scoop" settings on my EQ (would that be a downward scoop...frown....or an upward scoop...smile?)

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Thanks for the tips guys! I honestly would not have thought to turn the treble UP since it sounds like it has some serious bass to the song. I'll also try the "scoop" settings on my EQ (would that be a downward scoop...frown....or an upward scoop...smile?)

Thanks

Think of it as taking a scoop of ice cream but instead of ice cream your taking mids leaving a hole in your EQ settings like a smile if you must.

ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Check any "Rock" EQ preset on an MP3 player or similar -- always scooped mids. It's sort of a rock rule of thumb.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

I can get a pretty good Sabbath crunch with my Boss EQ pedal. All I do is push up the two bass sliders really high compared to others and then It sorta seems to overload the amp with a crunch when I play the low E string.

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

well my eq are just rotary knobs. But what your looking for is a nice sized "smile" also you might want to consider a very small amount of chorus to broaden up some notes for those chords.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

OK...here is a test run for the tone. I don't know all the riffs in between this main one yet but you get the idea. Also, the power chords are giving me some problems shifting them fast.

I am using the Daddy-O Overdrive, Compressor, EQ and my new Trip-L-Wah pedal....

Flashback, the smile definitely worked better then the frown! Like they say..."put on a happy face!"

Thanks

N.I.B. Tone Test :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

From what I could figure, Iommi used a lot of heavy downtunings like C and with standard strings the floppiness forces overdrive. thats how I do it anyway by playing higher on the neck. If I had missing finger tips I would definitly downtune a bunch too hehehe.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

From what I could figure, Iommi used a lot of heavy downtunings like C and with standard strings the floppiness forces overdrive. thats how I do it anyway by playing higher on the neck. If I had missing finger tips I would definitly downtune a bunch too hehehe.

Actually I think for N.I.B. he tunes down a half a step to all flats...which I didn't do.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mike

Instead of a smile, try forming your EQ sliders into a "V". :twisted:

The Bass and Highs will be boosted, the Mids cut. Or, on your Daddy-O turn Bass up, Mids down, and Highs up.

Also, keep Gain down to about 1/2. You cannot get a great crunch tone with Gain turned way up. You have to turn it way down. The pros do not use nearly the high gain that beginners use. Too much distortion is just MUSH.

Get a tube amp. This kind of tone is easy to get on a tube amp. Overdrive on tube amps is rubbery. Solid States tend to be harsh. Big difference.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote