Clear all

Nashville Tuning and "Dust In the Wind"

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@thedude)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

It has been so long since I posted on this board, I had to rejoin! I have been lurking here for a while though. First, I will re-introduce myself.

My name is Justin and I am 18. I will be a sophomore in college this fall (starting a summer course tonight though ). I have been playing the guitar for about seven years. I play left-handed. My first guitar was a standard Epiphone electric (pictured below). A couple years ago I got an Ibanez acoustic-electric (pictured below). I have plugged it into my amp no more than five times. I love the sound of an open acoustic. I have been mainly finger-picking on the acoustic. I have even grown my nails long! When I do not use my fingers I use the same pick that I have been using for seven years.

My main hobby is old cars. I have a '65 Ford Mustang, and '65 Ford Galaxie 500XL convertible, and a '53 Buick Super. I was doing some engine work on the Mustang last night and I found out that long nails and auto mechanics do not work well together, but I think I can manage.

The question that has prompted me to make this thread is about Nashville Tuning. I have been practicing "Dust In the Wind" by Kansas and this song was done in Nashville Tuning. I did not know what that was so I just looked it up. It seems I need some strings that are for a twelve-string guitar. Is there anyway to get around this? I am not going to change the strings just for one song.

Thank you!

Justin :wink:

What the hell am I talking about? I did not have to rejoin. I think that was another forum. :oops: :roll:

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL174/2016453/3903966/98827354.jpg

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

What I usually do is run my nashville strings till they wear out( about 3 weeks ) and just play them at that point I usually go back to regular strings. I really like the sound and they work especially well if your playing with another guitarist. I run Nashville tuning probably 3 or 4 times a year. Maybe someday I can afford another guitar just for the occasion. Another hint is to buy a set of 12 strings that way when your high strings wear out you can go back to regular tuning, and one more thing buy an extra B string it's the thinnist and you'll break at least one. I just keep rambling 8) 8)

I have to add this too, the strings have a little bit more tension and they're a little bit harder to play. Cheers and good luck!!!!

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@thedude)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Great, thanks for the information. :D I might look for a cheaper acoustic guitar to use for Nashville Tuning and just to generally mess around with. I also want to get a Les Paul Standard this summer. That would give me four guitars (five, if you count the "junior" guitar). :D

Thanks again :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

You can play "Dust in the Wind" just fine without retuning based on the C and Am chords and "Travis-style" fingerpicking. If you're interested, I can tab it up for you but it will take some time.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@thedude)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

You can play "Dust in the Wind" just fine without retuning based on the C and Am chords and "Travis-style" fingerpicking. If you're interested, I can tab it up for you but it will take some time.

If you do not mind taking the time to do it, that would be great. :D I really appreciate it. I am still going to get another guitar for Nashville tuning (that is just an excuse to get another guitar 8) ) though.

Thanks! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

This might have what you are looking for

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/k/kansas/dust_in_the_wind_ver2_tab.htm

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

Looks a bit right.. missing a few of the changes, but a good baseline.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded." - Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

I have gotten the pattern and verse tabbed out. It should be right (or at least pretty close) in standard tuning. I will add the chorus and bridge a bit later. I think the timing's a bit off, but the chord changes and such should be right. It's tabbed out so that your high string also becomes a bit of your melody line (It's a Willie Nelson trick that helps when singing along). The first measure is just the travis-style pattern that is used throughout the song.

The following files are available:

kansas - dust in the wind.gp4 (for users of Guitar Pro also shows fingering)
kansas - dust in the wind.tab (standard text-file tablature)
kansas - dust in the wind.mid (midi file of the tab)

You can get the files at http://bianchi.no-ip.net/tab/

ReplyQuote
(@cmoewes)
Estimable Member

So this posting has actually introduced me to two terms that I was not previously familiar with and could still use a little clarification on.

1. Nashville Tuning: this seems to be stadard tuning except the 4 lowest strings are swapped non-wound, up octave strings??

2. Travis-style Fingerpicking: no clue??

Anyone care to expound a little (I know that there has to be someone who can expound on this board somewhere :) )

ReplyQuote
(@axeslasher)
Trusted Member

Travis-style fingerpicking is just a specific fingerpicking pattern. Take a look at the first measure on the "Dust in the Wind" tab that I posted above.

Nashville tuning makes a 6-string guitar sound a bit like a 12-string guitar. In Nashville tuning, strings 1 & 2 (E and B) are left standard but strings 4 through 6 are each tuned a complete octave higher than usual. You can see how this adds stress to these strings, so the only real way to accomplish it is to actually replace strings 4 through 6 with lighter guage strings. Read more here

http://www.acguitar.com/issues/ag80/dear80.shtml

ReplyQuote
(@thedude)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again for the TAB and information. :D

ReplyQuote