Clear all

Need advice

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Playing covers by myself is getting kinda boring and I've really been getting the itch to start a band. But they are a few problems. First I work nights so it's hard to find time to play. Second, I have alternating weekends and have random days off during the week, so I'd need to find really, really accomidating people. I know a girl at work who plays bass, and a guy who plays drums. But their schedules are as messed up as mine. My friend plays bass, his schedule is pretty open, but I wouldn't play in a band with him. He'd rather put more effort into getting out of playing than it would take to play.

What's a good way to find members? How do you work around everyone's work schedules?

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

A few ways to find members:

If theres a bulletin board at your workplace, post a note on there, a flyer, something like that.

Also, at your local guitar center/sam ashe, check for messages there, or post another flyer.

Go to open mic's! I've heard this is a great way to meet other musicians.

Ask your guitar teacher to see if any of his students are looking for someone to play with

Making time: With your crazy scheduels, it'll be really important that if you find a time that works for everyone, everyone has to practice their parts before they come, you gotta make the most out of the time you are together. Have a general idea of what you will play before the time.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

it is great that you have that need now.
the schedule thing is messed up. to get around that just start playing with those few people when and where you can.

snatch as many moments as you can. it may be a slow start but it can take on a life of its own and momentum can build.
eventually you wont have time to go to work because your band is on the road gigging twenty hours a week.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Any way you can persuade someone to swap shifts so you can get together with the others?

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Weeeeeeeelllllllll if the jokes are anywhere near reality, the place you need to be looking is the local unemployment office. :lol: :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I second the call for asking you guitar teacher if any of his students are looking to play with others.

Other than that, I just happened to kick it up together with my best friends, sorry. :?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'll second or third the suggestion about either asking your teacher or asking him if you could put up a flyer there. I did that with one of my teachers and it worked out pretty well.

Besides the scheduling issues you'll also have to deal with getting everyone to agree on the type of music you're gonna play, originals, covers, heavy, etc. To me that might be more difficult than arranging the schedules.

Although I'm not in a band I do play with a bunch of guys every week and one thing you'll need is for one of you to take charge right from the beginning, at least in terms of getting everyone together, making schedules, putting the music together etc.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Hi,

Trying to get a whole a band to work could turn out to be pretty hard. Apart from all your problems with schedules, you'd be dealing with different levels of abilty and musical tastes, possibly an ego problem or two, etc.

So why not try for a duo first? Plenty that you can do musically with just two people. If it works out then you can look to include more members later. Taking it one step at a time might be a lot less of a hassle. Give you a chance to get a feel for it, and sort through some of the issues one on one first. Who knows - you might get a lot further working with one person you 'click' with, than four that never quite manage to get it together? Way easier to organise a place and time to practice too.

Good luck. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Have you checked out the musicians section on http://www.Craigslist.com they have localized listings.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Hi,

Trying to get a whole a band to work could turn out to be pretty hard. Apart from all your problems with schedules, you'd be dealing with different levels of abilty and musical tastes, possibly an ego problem or two, etc.

So why not try for a duo first? Plenty that you can do musically with just two people. If it works out then you can look to include more members later. Taking it one step at a time might be a lot less of a hassle. Give you a chance to get a feel for it, and sort through some of the issues one on one first. Who knows - you might get a lot further working with one person you 'click' with, than four that never quite manage to get it together? Way easier to organise a place and time to practice too.

Good luck. 8)

Cheers,

Chris
+1

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Who knows - you might get a lot further working with one person you 'click' with, than four that never quite manage to get it together? Way easier to organise a place and time to practice too.

Good luck. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

Four people? Was only thinking of finding 2 other people. I can play guitar and sing, just need someone to play bass and drums. I have a couple friends who play instruments, but they are into soul and the blues. Which is the exact opposite of what I want to play. Not sure what to play as a duo, though the White Stripes do it.

Have to check with my teacher. I haven't been in a while. Love it when work changes your schedule without telling you.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Four people? Was only thinking of finding 2 other people. I can play guitar and sing, just need someone to play bass and drums. I have a couple friends who play instruments, but they are into soul and the blues. Which is the exact opposite of what I want to play. Not sure what to play as a duo, though the White Stripes do it.

The exact number wasn't the issue. The idea was just to start small and work up. I was thinking of the popular 4 piece unit - drums, bass, rhythm and lead, with you being one of the four. But if you're happy with 3 then that's fine. :)

You can start with either bass or drums. Either way you'll have someone to lay down the beat. The less people you're trying to match up with, the quicker you'll actually be able to get started.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

If you go this route, which I think is a good one, I'd recomend finding a bass player first. Very hard to solo off a drum beat versus musical notes. I think you'll be able to do a lot more with a bassist than with a drummer.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

the schedule thing is messed up. to get around that just start playing with those few people when and where you can.

This is pretty much the bottom line. You may just have to start as best you can, with whatever is available. I also don't have a 'band friendly' schedule so I just take whatever opportunities that come along. I have a friend who runs the local guitar shop, so if I have some spare time I can pop in there and play along with him, and/or whoever's there at the time. As Taso said, you can hook up with people that way too. Music shops often have some kind of ties to students/teachers etc, sometimes they even have notice boards with people looking for other players. Even just rocking in and chatting can give you some leads or ideas.

We also have a few instruments at home which helps. If anybody admits to any musical ability I can usually find something for them to bash, pluck, blow or otherwise make music on..... :wink:

ReplyQuote