Clear all

Need an Experienced ear to figure out song

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was watching the Colbert Report Rock off Show and Robert Schneider played Colbert a song called "Stephen, Stephen"

http://www.youaintnopicasso.com/2006/12/21/robert-schneider-on-the-colbert-report/

I have the song stuck in my head and was wondering if someone could figure out the chord progression? Also, if someone tabbed out the solo, it would be even better. I'd do this myself but i am terrible at figuring songs out by ear.

So, is anyone up to the challenge?

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Here are the chords - more or less. I'll let someone less lazy than me tab the solo. :lol:
G - G - C - G - Em - Cm - G - G -
G - G - C - G - Em - Cm - G - G -
C - Cm - G - G - C - Cm - Bm - D7 - D7
Back to verse for solo

ReplyQuote
(@guitarmonkey90)
Trusted Member

e _________________________________________________________________________________________________
b _______________________________________5__8__5_________________________________________________
g _8(B)___5____8(b)_____5______5__6__8____________8__3(s)5___________________________________________
d _________________________________________________________________________________________________
a __________________________________________________________________________________________________
e __________________________________________________________________________________________________ here's the first part, its all correct but i hav'nt written tab on computer before and its taking me longer to write than it is to listen and sus out. on the bend on the 8th fret you bend up,then come back down with it. Ill post second part in a bit

"thats alright baby i still got ma guitar"

ReplyQuote
(@guitarmonkey90)
Trusted Member

e__________________________________________________________________________
b__________________________________________________________________________
g____11(B)___9___11(B)____8______8(B)_____5______5___3______________________
d______________________________________________________6___________________
a__________________________________________________________________________
e__________________________________________________________________________ on the first bend on the 11th i think he just bends up,on the second bend on the 11th i think he bends up,then comes back down. Thats about it youre gonna have to listen to the tune to get the timing sorted and use youre imagination a bit to make up for my poor tabbing skills,but i think it all there. Ive played it through and it seems fairly close. hope this helps :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^^How the hell...did you do that? lol

ReplyQuote
(@guitarmonkey90)
Trusted Member

e____________________________________________________________
b____________________________________5__9__5_________________
g__8(B)___5_____8(B)____5______5_6_8__________8_______________
d________________________________________________3(S)__5______
a____________________________________________________________
e____________________________________________________________
i noticed a typing error on my first tab so heres the corrected version.Everythings the same ive just changed the note on the 8th fret,b string to the 9th fret,sorry about that

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks alot guys, I'm gonna go play it right now :D

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

^^^How the hell...did you do that? lol

Make sure you're in tune, then start with the bass note cos most modern music plays only the root and the 5th in the bass. Once you've got the bass, get a handle on the melody. Once you're got the melody and the bass, there's only so many combinations of chords it can fit into. Hey presto.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote