Clear all

Need help making smooth transitions

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Until recently, I've just played for my own amusement in my basement, etc. I've also done a lot of amateur recording (a lot posted here) using my PC and Sonar.

Now I am starting to jam with a bass player, drummer, and occassional other guitarist. I am really struggling with making smooth transitions between rhythm sections and leads (and back again)......It sound really choppy if I just drop out, and come back in. SOme songs lend themselves better to this, but a lot are rough.

Any suggestions for making smoother and better transitions? Any trick of the trade out there?

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Not much tricks I know if exept practicing. Make sure your final chord is positioned in a way you don't need to move your hands as much. For example, if you are to play an A-major and need to start the solo in fifth position, don't play an open A. Go for [x 7 7 6 5 x] instead and you'll be reading to continue lead. Or, if possible, use only open strings at the end, leaving you time to position. So you could in the above example just play [0 0 x x x x] (inverted A5) and get ready to play.

ReplyQuote
 ss43
(@ss43)
Trusted Member

Practice?

ReplyQuote
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Practice?
Doh! Why didn't I think of that ? :lol:

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Don't be afraid of moments of silence. It is ok for there to be silent pauses in music, in fact, this adds dynamics to the music. You can especially get away with this in a group situation. Watch any group and you will see moments when players stop and are not playing anything at all. Singers do this all the time.

Check out BB King, he quits playing when he sings. Does it ruin the song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9abqeVPhEPo

You've got a drummer, bass player, and another guitarist behind you. You do not have to play 100% of the time. Let those guys play a few moments before you start your solo. This will make the music even better. It is all about tension and release.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote