Skip to content
Need Roadmap, I bel...

Notifications
Clear all

Need Roadmap, I believe it would help others too.

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@50kgsuvan)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone,
I have been practicing electric guitar for near 10 years now, I've started when I was 14. I've never had a teacher/mentor, and back then internet did not have this much resource about subject, so it was trial and error for me. I practiced stupidly, just to become fast, and have physical skills, to play cover songs with my friends. Then of course I evolved and desired to become a better musician, since my goal is like many of you become one of the best guitarist of the world, a virtuosso if you will.
But, the thing is there is confusing amount of resources out there, many books many videos and many items to practice. But not a coherent and comprehensive order. To be become a great musician and guitar player, I have these skills in mind (feel free to add if you find anything missing): Ear training (interval,chord and progression recognition as well as transcribing), music theory, fretboard mastery (knowing and coming up with locations of notes, intervals, scales, sequences, s. degrees, arpeggios and chords), overall technique (posture, fingern independence etc), techniques (sweep, vibrato etc), timing and rhythm, improvisation, composition, feeling (dynamics and tone), sigh-reading. I want to try and come up with a guide for myself and any other who has similiar goals in mind. So, anyone out there experienced with structured teaching/learning your help would be tremendously appriciated.

Now, all of these create tension, anxiety and confusion. Creates questions I can't answer even for myself. These are:
1. Timeline: How many times a day, week, month I should practice which item? For example, fretboard mastery, I want to be proficient in every key with every scale (starting with scales related to my preferred style) should I practice this every day, or some specific days allocated to fretboard mastery for detailed and more concentrated approach. Relating to this questions please keep in my this questions and every other questions involves every other item too.

2. In what order: Let's assume we picked a timeline, anyone, how should one ascend detailed subjects of the item. Let's take fretboard mastery example again. You have learned interval shapes in any kind, now you'll learn scales, how to master scales every key and in connected shapes through whole fretboard? How not to forget the other scales you have learned before while learning new ones. Should one learn in terms of keys/tonal centre or shapes etc.

3. How: How to practice selected subject, again in fretboard mastery terms, you are learning scales, you pick one type of scale, should you learn it in a particular key and with everything related to that key, like chords, modulation, degrees, shapes, or should you take one shape and practice it in other keys then other shapes?

4. Should one practice an item or subject extended period of times like weeks or months until it is mastered, or should have a multiply approach where he practices little by little from every items?

5. Should one come up with his own shapes, methods or stick with regular ones.

6. It would be apprieceted if you could give sample detailed routines with your answers.

Thank you all for in advance, I would like to add new questions and units according to your suggestions.

(@lachlanh)

Sounds like you might be looking for a practise routine that is very organised and goal orientated. The Steve Vai ten hour guitar workout springs to mind though I don't think you need to be that committed to get good results. However, I do advice organising your practise sessions into clearly defined tasks e.g. half an hour on scales, half an hour on arpeggios, half on rhythm guitar, half on finger exercises, half on improvisation et etc.

You will be surprised how much progress you will make, and how quickly you progress, if you set out your practise sessions that way rather than mindlessly noodling around for two hours without any real mindfulness.

Lachlan Horne. Guitar tutor for 40 AMAZING THINGS YOU CAN DO WITHT THE MINOR PENTATONIC SCALE web tutorial - Free lesson at guitarscalesthatrock.net/gf.html

ReplyQuote