Notifications
Clear all

Buzz/Hum/Feedback

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@ctbohannon)
Topic starter  

Hey folks, just made a few upgrades to my rig and noticed a good bit amount of increased buzzing. I have a Schecter Gryphon 6-String, with Seymour Duncan hot rod set [sh4-sh2]. I play through a newer Vox AC15 and a very simple pedalboard: Guitar into boss NS-2, inside the noise gate is a SD-1 overdrive and Ibanez mini tube screamer, then from my NS-2 outside the noise gate to my DD20 giga-delay > RV-5 reverb > to the amp. Like I said, very simple I like the NS-2 to keep my overdrive tight and gripped and use the delay/reverb outside of the noise gate. I used normal pre-made patch cables to connect everything and a 9-Spot daisy chain to power.

I won my fantasy football league and decided I might use the money to upgrade my power supply and clean up my cables [since some of mine were a little too long] and also make the overall tone better. After I installed a Voodoo labs Pedal Power 2 plus and George Ls custom effects kit [blue cable gold tip, solder-less] I noticed more buzzing and hissing then before! What in the world?!!?

I have tested every new patch cable, switched between old and new power supply, switched cables around, taken pedals out and etc. I have the PP2+ in the right slot for the DD20....is this normal to hear more buzz?

(@ctbohannon)
Topic starter  

Update: Two things "fix" this problem. Either going back to my crappy 1-Spot daisy chain, literally takes away all noise...OR...If I do NOT use the send/receive on the NS-2 i.e. not using the noise gate then it does not have any bad buzzing.

Very strange.

ReplyQuote
(@ctbohannon)
Topic starter  

Update: I have isolated the problem to being the NS-2 send/receive function which is the noise gate itself. If I hook up anything with any cable and any form of power [while using the PP2+] then I get the buzzing.

If I break the noise gate chain i.e. any cables from NS2> SD1 > Tube screamer mini the buzzing stops. Still no idea how to fix.

ReplyQuote
(@jonahpeacock)

Having a daisy chain with a tube screamer can almost always ensure a buzz, as it takes a lot of power. If instead of a daisy chain, you use a power board with individual power to each pedal, the buzzing will be solved! I've seen it done twice.

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

I was having a lot of buzzing issues with the noise gate. I finally got rid of the noise gate and One Spot and hooked everything into a Voodoo Labs power supply. Its awesome now.

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote