Clear all

Need some advice

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey everyone. I need some advice about what kind of major I should be looking at. I want to try and combine my two loves, music and business. The problem is, I have no idea where to start looking. Eventually I would like to own my own music related buisness like a record company or a club or something but I don't know which skills would be more important. Music or business. Are there any special majors out there for what I eventually want to do? Also, it would be great if you could point me at a few music schools because Google didn't help much. Thanks a ton in advance, it's truely appreciated! :D

(@alangreen)

The basics of business will be the same whatever business you're in, so I'd choose to study that. You might be lucky and find a course that does Business as the main part of the qualification but has a music module too - universities in the UK have a habit of producing wierd degrees made up from bits of courses that nobody wants; Geography with Mandarin Chinese was the strangest one I heard about.

Thought of studying in the UK?

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thought of studying in the UK?

No, but I'll definitely think about it now that you metioned it. That'd be pretty neat going to school in Europe... Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@cerberus)
Estimable Member

Seeing as how you posted this several months ago, I don't know if it still applies. However, some schools offer relatively specialized majors like entertainment marketing. Other than that you can take a business major like marketing or management and supplement it with something like a music minor.

However, regardless of what major you choose, the important thing is to land an internship with a label (or whatever area you choose to pursue). Once you've got your foot in the door, everthing else gets much easier.

I pity the fool, but also suggest ways he might better himself.

ReplyQuote
(@decieved)
Trusted Member

wow, youre just like me. im hoping to ajor in business and minor in music.

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

A music major is a tough major to carry in a double major, but really the very best thing a music guy can do is pick up a BA in business along with that music degree!

The music industry is, first and foremost, a business world, with products to sell and employees to manage and 10-K's to file.

Take a generalized business degree unless you really really want to be an accountant or a marketing god. That will give you the most flexability in where you go after college.

Once you find your first gig , be it performing or sitting in a cube, pick up a more specialzed MBA from some on-line school (unless your undergraduate performance can get into a top-flight MBA program, in which case the personal contacts will be worth it).

Don't pass up oportunties to do work with local promoters, studios or whatever. Volunteer if you have to! Heck, pay them if you have to! A college graduate resume without experience is as generic as can be. Use your time wisely. Don't be a work-a-holic (unless that's your nature) but don't let your whole college career go by without finding ways to make yourself stand out, either.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@maddmodder)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hey guys. Thanks for the replies. Kingpatzer, I've actually been thinking about doing something like you suggested recently. And I definitely plan on doing some interning of getting a job at a recording studio or record label. Even if I'm just delivering mail I figured it'd be good to at least be in that environment.

ReplyQuote