Notifications
Clear all

Need suggestions on new guitar and amp

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@capt)
Topic starter  

I am looking to buy a electric acoustic guitar and a amp. I want to spend around 1200.00 for both.. What brands should I look for and model numbers? I will be playing small birthday party's. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Capt.

(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

What kinda music do you play. What sounds do you want?

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Woah, thats a huge amount of money. If your playing small birthday parties, do you really need a $1200 amp? I could see you spending $1200 on a guitar you really like tho, so get into the store and try some out. You could just find an acoustic that you really like and have it electrafied(sp?). Martin and Taylors are both popular brands that are known to be good.

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@metaellihead)
Honorable Member

Woah, thats a huge amount of money. If your playing small birthday parties, do you really need a $1200 amp? I could see you spending $1200 on a guitar you really like tho, so get into the store and try some out.

He's looking for both. :wink:

-Metaellihead

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

Hold up I'm confused, 1200 for each of them, or combined?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@undercat)
Prominent Member

I'd start with a decent guitar: good stuff amplified somewhat well sounds great, while crap amplified well sounds like loud crap. So I'd set up an approximately 800/400 split, guitar/amp.

800 would put you into a very respectable guitar, a high side of any line new, or probably some of the best gear around used. 400 will get you a small-gig worthy amp. No stadium blaster, but a used Hot Rod Deluxe or something of the like, plenty to alert the party.

Do something you love and you'll never work a day in your life...

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Ovation Ovation Ovation. :D

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@capt)
Topic starter  

Since I live in Florida I play some country and some Buffett. I also play a lot of oldies. 60's 70's. I agree undercat 800 400 split. sounds good. I guess I will have to go to a good store and just start playing. The only store we have here is sam ash. I was just woundering about model numbers etc. I have a 1977 d-18 that I am not happy with. Thanks for all the reply's. I will let you guys know what I get.

Capt.

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

Where are you in Florida? You shouldn't be too far from one of the major citys where you could parose the music stores.

First thing you'll need to decide is acoostic/electric or electric? You say you've got a Martin your not happy with, Is it the feel (action) or the sound your not happy with? You could think about trading in the Martin to strech your money out. There are a lot of players that would pay good money for a D-18 in good shape.

Buffett and a lot of country pickers play some kind of flat top. Those things are so individual that you need to pick them up and play them to see if they have the sound and feel you like. There can be big differences between different guitars of the same make and model.

Electrics, solid, hollow, or simi-hollow? Single coil pickups or humbuckers? In the price range your talking you can get a prety good Korean built guitar from any of several makers in any of the above styles. Epiphone (Gibson clone), Squire, (Fender clone), Low end Fender, Shecter, all good guitars. Your not going to get to a Paul Reed Smith, Gretch, Gibson, or better Fender without trading your Martin. Again your going to have to play them to see what you like.

Amps, are you playing with a drummer? How big of a hall? Marshal, Crate, Fender, and a bunch of others. Fifty watts transistor or thirty tube will get you over a drum kit in small to medium halls. Bigger hall you might have to mike the amp. Unless your gong to be regulary playing big halls or outdoors your not going to need a big amp.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@danrobertson)
Eminent Member

If you haven't decided on one yet check out the Seagull range of guitars. I went into a new guitar shop here for a quick look and as soon as I tried my one I came out the shop with the sweats, lol.

Suffice to say I didn't restrain myself from buying that one for long. Mine is a Seagull S6+ cedar electro acoustic with cutaway. I haven't put the electronics through their paces yet. This guitar is very nice and cost me £570 but I reckon they should be cheaper over there since they are made in Canada. I find myself just holding it and smelling the wood, lol I know im sad but I really really really like this guitar and imo its about 10x better than my Taylor big baby (currently on ebay).

In a sentence, check out the Seagull range if you can.

Can't help you with the amp cause I'm still thinking about that area myself.

ReplyQuote
(@capt)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply's

I will check those guitars out. I live 90 miles south of Tampa. I am going to go to Sam Ash and play some guitars there to start out with. I will let you guys know what I decide.

Capt.

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

All they have in Ft. Myers is a Sam Ash? We have three diferent independant shops in Faribanks AK and we're a lot smaller. One sells Gibson, Epiphone, Sheckter, Garrison, Rainsong & Deering. Another Fender, Squire, Ovation, & Martin. And one with Ibinez, Taylor, Seagull, & Goldin. Fairbanks isn't but about 30,000 in population.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

I'd start with a decent guitar: good stuff amplified somewhat well sounds great, while crap amplified well sounds like loud crap. So I'd set up an approximately 800/400 split, guitar/amp.

800 would put you into a very respectable guitar, a high side of any line new, or probably some of the best gear around used. 400 will get you a small-gig worthy amp. No stadium blaster, but a used Hot Rod Deluxe or something of the like, plenty to alert the party.

Thats not exactly true. I tried out a HPL something Martin(No wood, all black, thin body) that sounded like, well, crap! 8) But after I plugged it in to a little crate, it sounded really good. Some acoustic guitars(especially thin-bodies) are designed to be plugged in. Just my $0.02

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

yea i agree blow the big bucks on the guitar, pick up a nice amp with whats left over.

i'm curious as all heck tho... what exactly is it about the D-18 you are unhappy about?
could a nice set-up bring you back to the ol'girl?

i would love to have a d-18, hell you would be pressed to find a good used one for less then $1200.00

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Ovation Ovation Ovation. :D

If you ever want to play sitting down, stay away for Ovation.

$1200. is a funny range to get "good" stuff.

$1200 will get you a good guitar. $400 you can get an acoustic Fender amp.

I have a non amplified Guild but I picked up a nice lil Alvarez for my kid for Christmas. Is surprised me. I"d get it for me!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2