Clear all

Needs Versus Wants

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

There was a post here not long ago on this subject.

I just spent a fair amount on a new guitar. It's a fabulously great guitar. No problem. When i bought it i said to myself, no more spending on things on don't NEED need. But wouldn't it be great to have a small guitar to take with you wherever your go? I can't take my dreadnought. It's far too big and heavy. I can't take my new guitar. It's far too good to take the risk of something happening to it. Travel guitars, I've heard anyway, don't sound too good but may fit the need. Then there's the Baby Taylor and the Little Martin. The Baby Taylor was on sale at GC yesterday but I didn't get it because it was still way over $200. However, I found a LIttle Martin on Craigslist, three years old for $120. I e-mailed the person but don't have a response just yet. How do I tell if this is a need or a want? I envision myself on the weekends bringing this little guitar with me wherever I go and playing/practicing even if I only have 15 minutes here and there during the day when I'm out. Good idea or not?

(@rocker)
Noble Member

i think its a good idea, don;t spend the rent money or anything, but if you can, with out hurting yourself moneywise, go for it 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I think you need it to keep from damaging your really nice guitar and you want it for convenience. No problem, get it.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Yeah, and don't spend the vacation money either!

I have the same problem... my mind creates justifications for the new purchases. I just started up lessons again and I convinced myself that it would make sense to buy a cheap Squier strat to fix up and keep in the trunk of my car all the time. That way I don't have to lug my nicer guitars around on lesson day. Plus, if the heat and humidity get to the guitar while it is in the trunk it is no big deal. Luckily, I found one for "cheap" and I'm currently fixing it up.

I don't think it is a sin to indulge yourself in something you love (although, if that love is drugs, gambling, or prostitution you might have an issue). The nice thing about our obsession is that you can always sell your instruments and re-coup some of the money. In fact, unlike most items, the bigger the investment the less you actually have to lose since the guitar market is so good right now.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Simply put: A need is something you must have to survive. Food, shelter.. these are needs.

A guitar is never a need unless its going to put food on your table or shelter you.

But. As long as you have taken care of food and shelter for you and your family (if you have one) then why not cater to your wants. I mean hopefully you have retirement money that is gradually building and so forth but whether its 3 guitars or 300 guitars its not a bad thing as long as you are taking care of your responsibilities.. So I say go for it.

Morally I dont think its wrong either but I wont go into that cause thats often left for interpretation.

Let us know whatcha get.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

buy a hardshell case instead of a travel guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@prndl)
Reputable Member

However, I found a LIttle Martin on Craigslist, three years old for $120. I e-mailed the person but don't have a response just yet. How do I tell if this is a need or a want? I envision myself on the weekends bringing this little guitar with me wherever I go and playing/practicing even if I only have 15 minutes here and there during the day when I'm out. Good idea or not?

This is definitely a want ... it is an extra item that you don't really need ... you definitely have GAS = Guitar Acquisition Syndrome.

Is this bad ... no. Although, you also seem to have the common problem where you think that buying something on sale or at a bargain justifies the purchase. Unfortunately, it doesn't. The hard part about bargains is that eventually you will end up with lots of cheap gear.

Will you really be satisfied playing an inexpensive Little Martin when your beautiful guitar is at home? Most people get inspired when they play a great guitar, and turned off with something else. I agree with Jason that a sturdy hardshell case would be a wiser investment for you.

The Little Martin may be a good deal and $120 is certainly cheap enough.

The main question to ask, however, is if the purchase is going to be worth the consequences: whether it's personal guilt, an arguement with a significant other (wife, girlfriend, parents), or missing a rent or mortgage payment. Some people make deals with themselves ... they work overtime, sell stuff on Ebay, or forego other expenses (eating out, etc) in order to afford their hobbies. You can also limit purchases to birthdays and christmas.

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

ah well....all of this was for nothing but thanks anyway. it had just been sold when i called the person....

ReplyQuote