15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Took it for a ride as soon as I got back from the shop:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=361288&songID=5592968

It's a Stagg electric Violin, costs E129,- and comes with a case, bow, rosing, battery, a cable to go to the mixer and a headphone. Funnily enough not even the most basic of instrunctions, not even a picture of how to hold the darn thing. It's really a weird change, not only is a violin extremely light-weight, it's also very small. I always envisioned it as having a kid's guitar on your neck btu it's much, much smaller.

Ah well, for anyone who cares to try this might be a nice start. The finishing isn't done well and I had to relocate the bridge but atleast I can practice in silence without bothering too many people. :D

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

8)

I love the sound of these in blues-rock and rock music. Enjoy it!

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Ukecaster before and now an electric violin...cool.

Sounds nice. Reminds of being in the 19th century.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Musenfreund: my goal really is to learn on this one and when I can play atleast somewhat in tune I'll get a 'real' violin. Can't really do it to the people around me to learn on an accoustic one. I do like the more bluesy 'fiddling' playing on these electric ones but I absolutely detest the 'Fur Elise cramped into 4/4 with a house beat' nonsense. :D

Rahul: There are never enough instruments. :D Can't wait for the electric harp, would be nice to see such a massive pickup. :D

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Congrats! 8)

And when could we listen you?

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

The finishing isn't done well and I had to relocate the bridge

Looks very cool and snakelike (a green one might be interesting), but it doesn't seem like there's much room to reposition the bridge. Was intonation off?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

On itself the bridge was placed okay but they ship it with the strings detuned so it kinda tilted and was angled 20 degrees off or so. Really minor but ofcourse something that would be fixed in the store before it ended on the shelves if it wasn't such a cheap instrument.
And when could we listen you?
Apart from the humorous snippet above it might take a bit. I'll first learn to play some scales and then I'll compose a simple piano & violin duet or something. Might take a few days so don't hold your breath. Right now I've got the G, D, A, B, C# and E notes covered. :D

ReplyQuote
(@dneck)
Prominent Member

thats sweet, violins are awsome. Im about to get one also. Much harder to play then guitar though.

"And above all, respond to all questions regarding a given song's tonal orientation in the following manner: Hell, it don't matter just kick it off!"
-Chris Thile

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

And here you are!

http://www.electricharp.com/

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Cool, Arjen. I'm sure you'll have some wicked fun with it.

The finishing isn't done well and I had to relocate the bridge

Looks very cool and snakelike (a green one might be interesting), but it doesn't seem like there's much room to reposition the bridge. Was intonation off?

maybe this was subtle humor, but without frets, intonation isn't much of an issue

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

That looks nice! Mine is just a good old acoustic one, which reminds me that I haven't played it in a while.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

maybe this was subtle humor, but without frets, intonation isn't much of an issue

LOL; too subtle, eh? Arjen was kind enough to give me a pass on that one.

We need one of those smilies for hiding behind a brick wall.

Meantime I'll just duck. :V :quack quack:

(I'm sure there are position dots on the side of the neck. Barump-bump.)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Maybe it's just me but it makes it kinda easier to play if the bridge is straight.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Electric violin, huh? Maybe you could try this.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_X4AyZW6LM

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Funnily enough not even the most basic of instrunctions, not even a picture of how to hold the darn thing.

Fortunately, I have a set here. They go:

1. Hold violin firmly under chin using the rest provided.

2. Place fingers of left hand on strings.

3. Grasp bow securely with right hand.

4. Play Bruch's Violin Concerto No.1 in G minor.

There may be some intermediate steps too, but I'm sure you'll have them figured out by tomorrow. :wink:

Looks like a wonderful addition to your range of instruments and gadgets. Almost looks like it needs a Cobra in basket for playing snake charmer music...

About 35 years ago when I was involved more in the rock scene we were friendly with the members of a band in Melbourne who had a female member called Claes Pearce who played electrified violin, so I guess the idea has been around for quite a while. It wasn't as neat looking as that though. :D Have fun. 8)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote