Clear all

New gear

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well I went to the music store for a new bulb for my wifes piano lamp, left with a Epiphone valve special amp....how does that happen? :)

Anyway I like the sound and the reverb, but the other effects arn't all that good, but I didn't buy it for them.

Nice amp for under 300 dollars though.

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

how does that happen? :)

Congrats.. You have successfully relieved some G.A.S. (Gear Aquisition Syndrome) You may now move on to your next purchase. LOL

Seriously.. Congrats and hope you enjoy it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 TimL
(@timl)
Eminent Member

Well I went to the music store for a new bulb for my wifes piano lamp, left with a Epiphone valve special amp....how does that happen? :)

Anyway I like the sound and the reverb, but the other effects arn't all that good, but I didn't buy it for them.

Nice amp for under 300 dollars though.

Scott
If you think it sounds good now, wait till you break in the speaker.

I agree with you about the effects, as well as the reverb. I'm just using a little reverb (set about 10-11 o'clock) and master volume straight up and gain set about 10 also. I grabbed a set of tubes to replace these that I'll get to one day soon...

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Epiphone makes a great product. I have the valve special, and I love it. I'm even getting rid of my old modeling amp, its just not even close, and they both cost about the same. I have to agree with you on the effects, although the chorus has grown on me. I usually have mine set Gain:12, Treble:Full, Mid: Full, Bass: None, Reverb: 9, Master: 12. Sounds perfect for a nice bluesy tone. If I wan't a more rockish tone, just up the gain and lower the master. And yes, you will love it more one the speaker breaks in. It gets smoother and brighter (for me at least). I love mine.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I see by your eq settings Duff that you feel it's a little dark sounding, glad to here it'll brighten up a bit as it breaks in(not a prob though, I prefer a darker sound over too bright an amp).

Another thing I noticed is how quiet it is, I have it in a room with two computers and a floresant light and I can't tell if its on even with my single coil guitar unless I touch the strings.

Thanks for the settings Duff, that bluesy sound is just what I'm after:)

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

The EQ is very unsensitive, so going from full to nothing does little. Also, if you decide that its not bassy enough, just get an EQ pedal, that should do the trick.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Ya I noticed that, I have a Digitek Screamin' Blues pedal that I can use with it, but the guitar->amp set up is nice as is, still exploring those sounds:)

Scott

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

The only exploration I've done is with my Digitech Death Metal Distrortion infront of it, just to see what it would sound like. It was a bit insane, but I got plenty of harmonics with it :)

I have also heard that getting an amp stand makes it sound a bit better to. I'm going to pick up a stand for 15 bucks at guitar center just to see.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I got a epiphone valve junior head a few weeks ago, I really like it :D I'm thinking about the Valve special for later. I was seriously thinking of getting a Fender HRD but that would be overkill for me since I don't plan on getting into a band. About how you ended up with the VS instead of the bulb...don't feel bad, I'm a total magpie myself...come to think of it so is my wife.. I guess we are even :lol: :lol: :lol: --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

It's starting to get somewhat annoying that everybody but me has a local Epi tube-amp dealer nearby. Luckily my local snitch told me that within a few weeks these little gems will be popping up all over Holland as well. I'm dying to find out if these things are really what all these people here are saying it is.

And I'm sure it it, so have loads of fun with it! :D

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

It's starting to get somewhat annoying that everybody but me has a local Epi tube-amp dealer nearby. Luckily my local snitch told me that within a few weeks these little gems will be popping up all over Holland as well. I'm dying to find out if these things are really what all these people here are saying it is.

And I'm sure it it, so have loads of fun with it! :D
Thomann have them

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Thanks, but that's unfortunately not much of an option, since that's in Germany. I'm Dutch. And since I don't buy anything like that without trying it first, and since going to the store (Musik Produktiv would be closer, actually) myself would cost more then the amp does it makes not much sense. But according to The Powers That Be Holland and Belgium should be supplied starting from the third week of July. :)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Arjen

Heh, you need to move here. :D

I think I will pick up one of the little Valve Junior heads myself. For $100 what is there to lose? There was a good post with sound clips of this amp through a 4 X 12 with Celestion Greenbacks and Vintage 30s awhile back. Wish I could find that link again. This amp sounded great through both, but especially the Vintage 30s. I could play this amp through my Avatar cab with two Vintage 30's.

Gotta get this amp, it is already famous. Get 'em while you can.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

Could I plug this amp into my Fender FM212R "PWR IN" jack and just use the speakers on the Fender?

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Could I plug this amp into my Fender FM212R "PWR IN" jack and just use the speakers on the Fender?

No, you cannot do that!

This is a very misleading term that Fender likes to use for some reason. I can completely understand why a person would believe they could run the high power speaker output of an amp into this input.

But that is a low power "line" input.

The Epiphone Valve Junior head has one output. This is a high power Speaker Out intended to drive a speaker or cab. If you run this into a mixer, the instrument input on a guitar amp, or the pre-amp or line in on an amp it will fry the amp.

There are basically just two types of outputs.

1)Speaker Out- a very high power signal only meant to drive speakers. Never plug this into anything but a speaker

2) Line In/Out (also called PreAmp In/Out, Send/Receive and in the case of Fender "Power Amp In"). A line signal is a very low power signal such as from a microphone, or your guitar pickups.

On Fender amps they like to label the Effects Loop as PreAmp Out and Power Amp In. You could come out of the PreAmp Out into the input on a multi-fx pedal, and then out of the output on the multi-fx into the Power Amp In. This is the effects loop.

You can also completely bypass the preamp stage of your Fender amp by running a pedal or multi-fx straight into this Power Amp In. However, you will lose use of all controls such as Volume, Drive, and your EQs (High, Mids, and Lows). Everything will be completely controlled by the multi-fx pedal. You have to be careful doing this, first turn the volume completely down on your pedal or multi-fx, else you might get blasted. :shock:

But this gives total control to your pedal or multi-fx including volume and tone.

Hope I haven't confused you.

Just remember, the only thing you ever plug a Speaker Out into is a speaker or speaker cab.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2