Skip to content
New Gibson SG (I kn...

Notifications
Clear all

New Gibson SG (I know you guys like the pics!)

29 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@music4relief)

Nice choice man. I have a Les Paul right now but someday im gonna get me one of these as well. Gibson is the way to go!

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Aaaaargh.... :shock:

You evil torturer.... :twisted:

I've been hankering after one of those for a while, and have tucked away just enough for the Epi version..... I was thinking that maybe this week I'd slip down to the shop, and just, um... look.... :roll:

Unfortunately, the Gibson versions are massively more expensive here, and you have to pay a very large premium to get that magic name on the headstock. :( Someone Please tell me that the Epi ones sound almost as good.... pleeeease...

Congratulations though. I borrowed an Epi G400 (Vintage look) the other day and it was a delight to play. I'm sure that the Gibson is at least as good! :wink:

Sigh....

Cheers,

Chris

Chris, how about buying the epi, and then buying the gibson pups off the net and swapping out?

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

That is a great deal! :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Chris, how about buying the epi, and then buying the gibson pups off the net and swapping out?

Now that I have somebody to blame..... :twisted:

Whoosh.............

OK. Stage 1 completed. Got the Epi. 8)

Now for the pup upgrade. I don't use credit cards, and getting stuff shipped from other countries can be a hassle too. So I'll need to track down a local supplier. But that's OK, I'm not in a rush. I'm actually liking the stock pups in it just fine at the moment (I actually bought it yesterday when my friend at the local shop offered me a price I simply couldn't refuse, on one he'd had in stock for a while). So I can delay the swap out for a while yet. :)

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

C'mon then Chris let's see her!
Congrats btw
:D

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

C'mon then Chris let's see her!
Congrats btw
:D

OK. :) I'll take a snap and stick it on the end of the Post Your Gear thread, rather than hijack this one any more than I have already... :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@biker_jim_uk)
Honorable Member

I'm looking into getting a special or faded special and here in the UK they are around £600 which is $1200!!!! A bit different from the $500 for the one in the pic! Grrr!

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

That Solid Guitar (SG) looks faded. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Congrats on the Faded SG. I got a faded brown a few months ago and it has become my favorite guitar by far. Seems everytime I get a new guitar it becomes my favorite, but I really believe I have finally found the best guitar for me. I love the light weight, easy playability up high (my LP is difficult to play up high), but best of all I really love the clean tones of this guitar, just beautiful IMHO. Sounds great with overdrive too.

I did have to make a few adjustments to the pickup height. The neck pickup seemed to have far greater output volume wise than the bridge. This is because the strings are angled across the pickups, especially the pickup poles. I ended up lowering the neck pickup quite low, and raising the bridge pickup quite high. In addition, I raised the poles on the bridge pickup only. I was able to balance the outputs of both pickups nicely, I do not hear a volume difference when switching pickups. So if you've noticed this big volume difference between pickups this is what you have to do.

Get the Guv'nor Plus pedal by Marshall and you will get the great classic Marshall tones out of that EVJ amp.

Guv'nor Plus

If you are into AC/DC you can nail it with this guitar and this pedal. :twisted:

Have fun, the Faded SG is a GREAT guitar.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Wes, my pickups seem to be well balanced, however I was thinking of lowering them both a bit. The neck pickup is very high and when my son strums close to the neck, he tends to scrape the pickup quite a bit.

The only thing that I don't like about the SG is the strap buttons. They are fairly small and I think, the way the front button is mounted behind the neck allows the strap to fall off easier. I think I'm going to invest in some strap locks.

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Congrats again on your new SG! I just bought one myself after going back and forth over my new Schecter C-1 Classic. While looking for a different Schecter w/ SD JB pups to compare with the C-1, I ended up playing this SG and loved it! Back went the C-1 and home came the Gibson SG. I really love it! It suits me and my style of playing better than the Schecter ever did and feels great! No regrets whatsoever...and I didn't even wave "goodbye" to the Schecter. :o Now, of course, I'm after the accompanying Les Paul (also in faded red) for $800 (or less of course). It never ends, but I have to check that one out! If it's anywhere near as great feeling, playing and sounding as the SG, I'll find a way! :wink:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

musica23, Congrats on your new SG!

GC has a 30 day money back guarantee so I ask my son every day if he still loves the SG and if he wants to go back for the Epi Les Paul, and he tells me that he's sure it's the one for him. I can't comment too much on the guitar, cause it's always in his hands, though he goes to bed early :twisted: !

ReplyQuote
(@mrjonesey)
Honorable Member

Hmmmm.. does it come in lefty??? Just kidding. Beautiful guitar! :D

"There won't be any money. But when you die, on your death bed, you will receive total conciousness. So, I got that going for me. Which is nice." - Bill Murray, Caddyshack ~~ Michigan Music Dojo - http://michiganmusicdojo.com ~~

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Thanks, Riff Raff. I guess I feel the same way your son feels about the SG. So good luck getting your hands on it! :wink:

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2